7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Pavel Jansa
Hello,

after recent update on November 11th my grass installation stopped
working. I can get to grass shell without gui, but can't start anything.
It alway looks like this:

➜  ~ g.gui wxpython
Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 105, in OnInit
     from lmgr.frame import GMFrame
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/lmgr/frame.py", line 50, in <module>
     from gui_core.preferences import MapsetAccess, PreferencesDialog
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/preferences.py", line
51, in <module>
     from gui_core.dialogs import SymbolDialog, DefaultFontDialog
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/dialogs.py", line 50, in
<module>
     from gui_core.gselect import LocationSelect, MapsetSelect, Select, \
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/gselect.py", line 64, in
<module>
     from gui_core.widgets import ManageSettingsWidget, CoordinatesValidator
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/widgets.py", line 92, in
<module>
     from gui_core.wrap import Button, SearchCtrl, StaticText, StaticBox, \
   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/wrap.py", line 39, in
<module>
     from wx import NewIdRef as NewId
ImportError: cannot import name 'NewIdRef'
OnInit returned false, exiting...

I tried reinstalling grass from grass-devel and ubuntugis-unstable PPAs
to same result. I also tried compiling from source, with no success so far.

Hope to solve this, as I realy loved working with grass 6.4.x couple
years ago.

Cheers,

Pavel

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Pavel Jansa
Just an update: generic binary
(https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/binary/linux/snapshot/) behaves the
same way.

Dne 25. 11. 19 v 8:04 Pavel Jansa napsal(a):

> Hello,
>
> after recent update on November 11th my grass installation stopped
> working. I can get to grass shell without gui, but can't start
> anything. It alway looks like this:
>
> ➜  ~ g.gui wxpython
> Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 105, in OnInit
>     from lmgr.frame import GMFrame
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/lmgr/frame.py", line 50, in
> <module>
>     from gui_core.preferences import MapsetAccess, PreferencesDialog
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/preferences.py", line
> 51, in <module>
>     from gui_core.dialogs import SymbolDialog, DefaultFontDialog
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/dialogs.py", line 50,
> in <module>
>     from gui_core.gselect import LocationSelect, MapsetSelect, Select, \
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/gselect.py", line 64,
> in <module>
>     from gui_core.widgets import ManageSettingsWidget,
> CoordinatesValidator
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/widgets.py", line 92,
> in <module>
>     from gui_core.wrap import Button, SearchCtrl, StaticText,
> StaticBox, \
>   File "/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/wrap.py", line 39, in
> <module>
>     from wx import NewIdRef as NewId
> ImportError: cannot import name 'NewIdRef'
> OnInit returned false, exiting...
>
> I tried reinstalling grass from grass-devel and ubuntugis-unstable
> PPAs to same result. I also tried compiling from source, with no
> success so far.
>
> Hope to solve this, as I realy loved working with grass 6.4.x couple
> years ago.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pavel

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Martin Landa

po 25. 11. 2019 v 8:10 odesílatel Pavel Jansa <[hidden email]> napsal:
>      from wx import NewIdRef as NewId
> ImportError: cannot import name 'NewIdRef'
> OnInit returned false, exiting...
>
> I tried reinstalling grass from grass-devel and ubuntugis-unstable PPAs
> to same result. I also tried compiling from source, with no success so far.

it's a known issue [1]. Will be fixed in upcoming release 7.8.2. Ma

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3962

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Veronica Andreo
In the meantime, you can edit the file /usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/wrap.py file as in https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/155/commits/e4fbc0f3ae876bc548dae6c509f507d6b9e536b7

I did and all is working fine :)

El lun., 25 nov. 2019 a las 8:35, Martin Landa (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi,

po 25. 11. 2019 v 8:10 odesílatel Pavel Jansa <[hidden email]> napsal:
>      from wx import NewIdRef as NewId
> ImportError: cannot import name 'NewIdRef'
> OnInit returned false, exiting...
>
> I tried reinstalling grass from grass-devel and ubuntugis-unstable PPAs
> to same result. I also tried compiling from source, with no success so far.

it's a known issue [1]. Will be fixed in upcoming release 7.8.2. Ma

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3962

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Angelos Tzotsos
Thanks Veronica,

I will use the patch for the UbuntuGIS package.

Cheers,
Angelos

On 11/25/19 2:06 PM, Veronica Andreo wrote:
In the meantime, you can edit the file
/usr/lib/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/wrap.py file as in
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/155/commits/e4fbc0f3ae876bc548dae6c509f507d6b9e536b7

I did and all is working fine :)

El lun., 25 nov. 2019 a las 8:35, Martin Landa ([hidden email])
escribió:

Hi,

po 25. 11. 2019 v 8:10 odesílatel Pavel Jansa [hidden email] napsal:
     from wx import NewIdRef as NewId
ImportError: cannot import name 'NewIdRef'
OnInit returned false, exiting...

I tried reinstalling grass from grass-devel and ubuntugis-unstable PPAs
to same result. I also tried compiling from source, with no success so
far.

it's a known issue [1]. Will be fixed in upcoming release 7.8.2. Ma

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3962

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:16 AM Pavel Jansa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just an update: generic binary
> (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/binary/linux/snapshot/) behaves the
> same way.

I discovered recently that the updates are broken (this also affects
the online manual pages which haven't been updated since October).

working on it...

Markus

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 10:07 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:16 AM Pavel Jansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Just an update: generic binary
> > (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/binary/linux/snapshot/) behaves the
> > same way.
>
> I discovered recently that the updates are broken (this also affects
> the online manual pages which haven't been updated since October).
>
> working on it...

Fixed, please try it.

(and I hope the packaging job now behaves...)

Cheers
Markus

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Martin Landa

po 25. 11. 2019 v 8:35 odesílatel Martin Landa <[hidden email]> napsal:
> > I tried reinstalling grass from grass-devel and ubuntugis-unstable PPAs
> > to same result. I also tried compiling from source, with no success so far.
>
> it's a known issue [1]. Will be fixed in upcoming release 7.8.2. Ma

I have published new package with locally applied patch. Try to
install 7.8.1-1~bionic2. Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Angelos Tzotsos
The package was already in experimental ppa, waiting to be copied along
with new geos, proj and gdal.
Please test since I am planning to copy soon.

út 3. 12. 2019 v 9:54 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> napsal:
> The package was already in experimental ppa, waiting to be copied along
> with new geos, proj and gdal.
> Please test since I am planning to copy soon.

I will test. Anyway I took liberty to upload bionic2 package to
unstable since bionic1 is completely broken (speaking about GUI). Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Angelos Tzotsos
Thanks for uploading.
I will rebuild the package in experimental with ~bionic3

On 12/3/19 10:57 AM, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> út 3. 12. 2019 v 9:54 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> The package was already in experimental ppa, waiting to be copied along
>> with new geos, proj and gdal.
>> Please test since I am planning to copy soon.
> I will test. Anyway I took liberty to upload bionic2 package to
> unstable since bionic1 is completely broken (speaking about GUI). Ma

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Martin Landa
Hi,

út 3. 12. 2019 v 10:01 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> I will rebuild the package in experimental with ~bionic3

I was planning to upload 7.8.2RC1 to experimental... Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Angelos Tzotsos
Please wait until I copy those files over.

On 12/3/19 11:06 AM, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> út 3. 12. 2019 v 10:01 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
> <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> I will rebuild the package in experimental with ~bionic3
> I was planning to upload 7.8.2RC1 to experimental... Ma

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Martin Landa
Hi,

út 3. 12. 2019 v 10:23 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> Please wait until I copy those files over.

are we speaking about expr PPA only? Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Angelos Tzotsos
My plan is to copy the transition files from experimental to unstable.
After that, please upload the RC version to experimental only.

On 12/3/19 11:35 AM, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> út 3. 12. 2019 v 10:23 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
> <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> Please wait until I copy those files over.
> are we speaking about expr PPA only? Ma

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Martin Landa
Hi,

út 3. 12. 2019 v 10:40 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> My plan is to copy the transition files from experimental to unstable.
> After that, please upload the RC version to experimental only.

sure, RCs are uploaded only to expr PPA. So if I understand well, I
can upload RC to expr PPA right now? Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Angelos Tzotsos
No, please wait, do not upload anything yet, I am still building
packages to move to unstable.

On 12/3/19 12:25 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> út 3. 12. 2019 v 10:40 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
> <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> My plan is to copy the transition files from experimental to unstable.
>> After that, please upload the RC version to experimental only.
> sure, RCs are uploaded only to expr PPA. So if I understand well, I
> can upload RC to expr PPA right now? Ma

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: 7.8.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

Martin Landa
út 3. 12. 2019 v 11:27 odesílatel Angelos Tzotsos
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> No, please wait, do not upload anything yet, I am still building
> packages to move to unstable.

OK, just let me know. Ma
--
Martin Landa