7.2 release... and a question...

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

While PHP support for 7.2 was omitted  because of confusion on RFC status, I’ve been watching Alexander (@AlexanderGabriel) has been working hard the last 10 days to resurrect the SWIG/PHP work. See ticket https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and the pull request https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5623.

Given the SWIG/PHP support is brand new and wouldn’t have any backwards compatibility issues. So, do we include it and have one more beta?

--Steve

Re: 7.2 release... and a question...

Even Rouault-2
On lundi 25 juin 2018 14:34:54 CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> While PHP support for 7.2 was omitted  because of confusion on RFC status,
> I've been watching Alexander (@AlexanderGabriel) has been working hard the
> last 10 days to resurrect the SWIG/PHP work. See ticket
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and the pull request
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5623.
>
> Given the SWIG/PHP support is brand new and wouldn't have any backwards
> compatibility issues. So, do we include it and have one more beta?

This is a great effort and promising, but I see there is no Travis-CI and/or
AppVeyor tests yet for this. This is hard to tell consequently if it is
working now, and more critically, if it will still be working in the future.
We should really not merge features without corresponding tests ("untested
code is broken code")
The documentation http://mapserver.org/mapscript/php/index.html should also be
updated.
So I don't think this new feature is ready yet.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 7.2 release... and a question...

Alexander Gabriel
Hi,

Travis should be easy to test (the build, not if mapscript works as it should) but appveyor is not that easy (for me; already tried once but didn't work) because i need (i thing i need them) php sdk binary tools to compile and if i start the shell, it stops executing subsequent commands...
i didn't want to crash the CI again and i didn't want to pollute the PR with a lot of patches so i didn't activate it in this PR.
but i think, i can fix this in a few days and everyone who wants to help me (and is more experienced) is welcome.

I'm with Even. You should not hurry. Even if it would be really cool to have php mapscript back. I think, a lot of people are waiting for this.
Maybe phpng can be tagged as experimental or unstable.
Or you just wait until next release and merge my patch to branch 7.3.

It took so long now ;) It should become good.

Alex

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
On lundi 25 juin 2018 14:34:54 CEST Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> While PHP support for 7.2 was omitted  because of confusion on RFC status,
> I've been watching Alexander (@AlexanderGabriel) has been working hard the
> last 10 days to resurrect the SWIG/PHP work. See ticket
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and the pull request
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5623.
>
> Given the SWIG/PHP support is brand new and wouldn't have any backwards
> compatibility issues. So, do we include it and have one more beta?

This is a great effort and promising, but I see there is no Travis-CI and/or
AppVeyor tests yet for this. This is hard to tell consequently if it is
working now, and more critically, if it will still be working in the future.
We should really not merge features without corresponding tests ("untested
code is broken code")
The documentation http://mapserver.org/mapscript/php/index.html should also be
updated.
So I don't think this new feature is ready yet.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 7.2 release... and a question...

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
I can certainly live with that - maybe not including it will provide impetus for a quicker next release. I do appreciate Alex's work on this! Will give it a day to give others a chance to weigh in. Otherwise I'll propose a 7.2.0 initial release for mid-week. --Steve