3D raster remove voxels above DEM

Francois Chartier
Hi,

I would like to remove voxels located at a higher elevation than  DEM.
I have been trying r3.mapcalc without sucess.
Does the XY resolutions of both raster have to the same?
any ideas how to do this?
Thanks
Francois

Re: 3D raster remove voxels above DEM

Francois Chartier
See attached screenshot, I was able to remove voxels above the DEM and below bedrock surface using r3.out.vtk and selecting export as pointdata (p) not voxels.  If exported as a Voxel from r3.out.vtk, the voxel file did not open properly in Paraview could be due to size of file. I changed option to export as points and it is working.
grid resolution is 5 x 5 x 1 m over 4km x 4 km x 65 m thickness approx. (actual thickness varies between DEM and top of rock).

r3.out.vtk -p -s input=jan27551tens100@Toronto output=C:\Users\Francois Chartier\Documents\GeoModel\WorkingFile\Feb6_VTK_Pts top=GTADEM@Toronto bottom=rock@PERMANENT

Le dim. 3 févr. 2019 à 16:42, Francois Chartier <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

I would like to remove voxels located at a higher elevation than  DEM.
I have been trying r3.mapcalc without sucess.
Does the XY resolutions of both raster have to the same?
any ideas how to do this?
Thanks
Francois

overall3dview.jpg (222K) Download Attachment

Re: 3D raster remove voxels above DEM

Moritz Lennert
Hi François,

Thanks for sharing the solution you found. From your first mail it was
clear to me what these voxels above the DEM contained. NULL values ?

It would be great if you could summarize all your experience working on
3D data in GRASS GIS in the wiki, at least by amending
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Help_with_3D with your additions or
corrections ? This would be very helpful many others.

Moritz

On 6/02/19 03:46, Francois Chartier wrote:

> See attached screenshot, I was able to remove voxels above the DEM and
> below bedrock surface using r3.out.vtk and selecting export as
> *pointdata (p)* not voxels.  If exported as a Voxel from r3.out.vtk, the
> voxel file did not open properly in Paraview could be due to size of
> file. I changed option to export as points and it is working.
> grid resolution is 5 x 5 x 1 m over 4km x 4 km x 65 m thickness approx.
> (actual thickness varies between DEM and top of rock).
>
> r3.out.vtk -p -s input=jan27551tens100@Toronto output=C:\Users\Francois
> Chartier\Documents\GeoModel\WorkingFile\Feb6_VTK_Pts top=GTADEM@Toronto
> bottom=rock@PERMANENT
>
> Le mar. 5 févr. 2019 à 21:20, Francois Chartier <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     See attached screenshot, I was able to remove voxels above the DEM
>     and below bedrock surface using r3.out.vtk and selecting export as
>     *pointdata (p)* not voxels.  If exported as a Voxel from r3.out.vtk,
>     the voxel file did not open properly in Paraview could be due to
>     size of file. I changed option to export as points and it is working.
>     grid resolution is 5 x 5 x 1 m over 4km x 4 km x 65 m thickness
>     approx. (actual thickness varies between DEM and top of rock).
>
>     r3.out.vtk -p -s input=jan27551tens100@Toronto
>     output=C:\Users\Francois
>     Chartier\Documents\GeoModel\WorkingFile\Feb6_VTK_Pts
>     top=GTADEM@Toronto bottom=rock@PERMANENT
>

>     Le dim. 3 févr. 2019 à 16:42, Francois Chartier
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I would like to remove voxels located at a higher elevation
>         than  DEM.
>         I have been trying r3.mapcalc without sucess.
>         Does the XY resolutions of both raster have to the same?
>         any ideas how to do this?
>         Thanks
>         Francois

Re: 3D raster remove voxels above DEM

Francois Chartier
Thanks Moritz

My goal is to summarize the steps for 3d interpolation at the end of the process. it took me a year to get here and still have a few more steps to do which i will contact the User list for.
I am actually doing this as part of a 2nd master thesis with le Cnam in Paris as continuing education, so i will formalize the process.

The voxels above the dem are not Null values in this interpolation as the vvolrst interpolates the data within the full 'footprint' of the g.region; is there a possibility to constrain the interpolation to in between the DEM and lower surface, by setting a more customized Region than a Block?

On 6/02/19 14:02, Francois Chartier wrote:

> Thanks Moritz
>
> My goal is to summarize the steps for 3d interpolation at the end of the
> process. it took me a year to get here and still have a few more steps
> to do which i will contact the User list for.
> I am actually doing this as part of a 2nd master thesis with le Cnam in
> Paris as continuing education, so i will formalize the process.
>
> The voxels above the dem are not Null values in this interpolation as
> the vvolrst interpolates the data within the full 'footprint' of the
> g.region; is there a possibility to constrain the interpolation to in
> between the DEM and lower surface, by setting a more customized Region
> than a Block?

You could try r3.mask.

Moritz