3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Daniel Hardes

Hello,

i have a PostGIS database with point, line and polygon geometries and all have a Z-coordinate.

First problem: Is it possible to create a layer in the mapfile without a fixes type? i think a layer has to have a Type property but there ist no general geometry type.

Second problem: All coordinates have only X and Y values.... but no Z value... they have the value in the database. Is it possible zu get the Z-coordinate from the WFS?

Greetings Daniel

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Daniel Hardes

Ok. Is there a prebuild version with USE_POINT_Z_M somewhere?

Michael Smith <[hidden email]> hat am 30. Juni 2017 um 12:02 geschrieben:

Daniel,

There is a section in the OGC WFS Server docs that explains this. Look at http://mapserver.org/ogc/wfs_server.html#reference-section, specifically the Layer section. You have to have mapserver compiled with USE_POINT_Z_M support and you have to set the geometry type to a 2.5D type, eg something like "ows_geomtype" "Polygon25D"

Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

On Jun 30, 2017, at 5:49 AM, Daniel Hardes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

i have a PostGIS database with point, line and polygon geometries and all have a Z-coordinate.

First problem: Is it possible to create a layer in the mapfile without a fixes type? i think a layer has to have a Type property but there ist no general geometry type.

Second problem: All coordinates have only X and Y values.... but no Z value... they have the value in the database. Is it possible zu get the Z-coordinate from the WFS?

Greetings Daniel

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Michael Smith
What os? I know the mapserver docker packages (https://hub.docker.com/r/mapserver/mapserver/)  have it but most of the windows versions, MS4W, GisInternals, don’t. Don’t know about OSGeo4W.

Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

On Jun 30, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Daniel Hardes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2017-06-30 8:00 AM, Michael Smith wrote:
> What os? I know the mapserver docker packages
> (https://hub.docker.com/r/mapserver/mapserver/)  have it but most of the
> windows versions, MS4W, GisInternals, don’t. Don’t know about OSGeo4W.

Thanks for mentioning this Mike, I've filed a ticket to include this in
the upcoming MS4W release: http://www.ms4w.com/trac/ticket/120

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Daniel Morissette
Quick reminder for the archives: the reason for the USE_POINT_Z_M option
is that there is (or at least used to be at the time) a non trivial
performance impact (15%-50% performance hit) likely related to the
increase in size of the pointObj struct when Z and M are added:

https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver-import/issues/1244

It may be nice to have some updated benchmarks comparing with and
without USE_POINT_Z_M with recent releases, but I just wanted to point
out that if one cares about performance and doesn't need the Z,M then is
preferable to keep this option turned off in their builds.

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Even Rouault-2

On vendredi 30 juin 2017 07:00:40 CEST Michael Smith wrote:

> What os? I know the mapserver docker packages

> (https://hub.docker.com/r/mapserver/mapserver/) have it but most of the

> windows versions, MS4W, GisInternals, don’t. Don’t know about OSGeo4W.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't revisit the decision to have USE_POINT_Z_M disabled by default. This is often annoying.

Apparently, adding USE_POINT_Z_M defaulting to OFF was driven by performance reasons per https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/1244 . But this was 12 years ago. Perhaps with recent hardware the performance difference isn't that big. The ticket unfortunately doesn't contain a test case to bench (likely lots of lines/polygons, or large lines/polygons to render). If the perf difference is still there, a more involved change would be indeed to move the z and m components into separate arrays.

http://www.spatialys.com

#1244 refers to #1224 which is using the gmap demo mapfile... which is a
relatively small dataset, so it should be easy to verify if the issue is
still relevant on more recent hardware using gmap or probably any other
dataset.

https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver-import/issues/1224

--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc

On vendredi 30 juin 2017 09:59:30 CEST Daniel Morissette wrote:

> On 2017-06-30 9:50 AM, Even Rouault wrote:

> > I'm wondering if we shouldn't revisit the decision to have USE_POINT_Z_M

> > disabled by default. This is often annoying.

> > Apparently, adding USE_POINT_Z_M defaulting to OFF was driven by

> > performance reasons per

> > https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/1244 . But this was 12

> > years ago. Perhaps with recent hardware the performance difference isn't

> > that big. The ticket unfortunately doesn't contain a test case to bench

> > (likely lots of lines/polygons, or large lines/polygons to render). If

> > the perf difference is still there, a more involved change would be

> > indeed to move the z and m components into separate arrays.

> #1244 refers to #1224 which is using the gmap demo mapfile... which is a

> relatively small dataset, so it should be easy to verify if the issue is

> still relevant on more recent hardware using gmap or probably any other

> dataset.

> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver-import/issues/1224

OK, I downloaded

http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms46.tar.gz

(not sure if there's a more uptodate version of it).

Added the necessary MAP and SYMBOLSET keywords in the mapfile and symbolset file.

With master, compiled in Release (-O3)

and the following Python mapscript bench.py

{{{

import mapscript

for i in range(200):

map = mapscript.mapObj('gmap75.map')

img1 = map.draw()

}}}

I ran it 10 times consecutively with each config and took the smallest time ("real" figure)

With USE_POINT_Z_M=OFF

time python bench.py

real 0m4.167s

user 0m3.964s

sys 0m0.200s

With USE_POINT_Z_M=ON

time python bench.py

real 0m4.252s

user 0m3.972s

sys 0m0.260s

So USE_POINT_Z_M=ON is 2% slower than OFF

On a recent (~ 1 year old) laptop with a

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Daniel Hardes

Do we need more testing or could "USE_POINT_Z_M = ON" the default in the next release?

Even Rouault <[hidden email]> hat am 30. Juni 2017 um 16:40 geschrieben:

On vendredi 30 juin 2017 09:59:30 CEST Daniel Morissette wrote:

> On 2017-06-30 9:50 AM, Even Rouault wrote:

> > I'm wondering if we shouldn't revisit the decision to have USE_POINT_Z_M

> > disabled by default. This is often annoying.

> > Apparently, adding USE_POINT_Z_M defaulting to OFF was driven by

> > performance reasons per

> > https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/1244 . But this was 12

> > years ago. Perhaps with recent hardware the performance difference isn't

> > that big. The ticket unfortunately doesn't contain a test case to bench

> > (likely lots of lines/polygons, or large lines/polygons to render). If

> > the perf difference is still there, a more involved change would be

> > indeed to move the z and m components into separate arrays.

> #1244 refers to #1224 which is using the gmap demo mapfile... which is a

> relatively small dataset, so it should be easy to verify if the issue is

> still relevant on more recent hardware using gmap or probably any other

> dataset.

> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver-import/issues/1224

OK, I downloaded

http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms46.tar.gz

(not sure if there's a more uptodate version of it).

Added the necessary MAP and SYMBOLSET keywords in the mapfile and symbolset file.

With master, compiled in Release (-O3)

and the following Python mapscript bench.py

{{{

import mapscript

for i in range(200):

map = mapscript.mapObj('gmap75.map')

img1 = map.draw()

}}}

I ran it 10 times consecutively with each config and took the smallest time ("real" figure)

With USE_POINT_Z_M=OFF

time python bench.py

real 0m4.167s

user 0m3.964s

sys 0m0.200s

With USE_POINT_Z_M=ON

time python bench.py

real 0m4.252s

user 0m3.972s

sys 0m0.260s

So USE_POINT_Z_M=ON is 2% slower than OFF

On a recent (~ 1 year old) laptop with a

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

jmckenna
Administrator
Before this past long weekend I was testing with Windows and getting
about a 1% difference; but I didn't report it here because I was using
the 'wallclock' time and not CPU time, on Windows.  (that was with
Even's 200 map draw test)  I personally feel that the difference is so
minimal now that yes, we should enable SUPPORTS=POINT_Z_M for the next
MS4W release.

-jeff

On 2017-07-03 4:49 AM, Daniel Hardes wrote:

> Do we need more testing or could "USE_POINT_Z_M = ON" the default in the
> next release?
>
>> Even Rouault <[hidden email]> hat am 30. Juni 2017 um
>> 16:40 geschrieben:

>> USE_POINT_Z_M

>> isn't

>> bench

>> > #1244 refers to #1224 which is using the gmap demo mapfile... which is a
>>
>> > relatively small dataset, so it should be easy to verify if the issue is
>>
>> > still relevant on more recent hardware using gmap or probably any other
>>
>> > dataset.
>>

>> > https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver-import/issues/1224
>>
>> OK, I downloaded
>>
>> http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms46.tar.gz
>>
>> (not sure if there's a more uptodate version of it).
>>
>> Added the necessary MAP and SYMBOLSET keywords in the mapfile and
>> symbolset file.
>>
>> With master, compiled in Release (-O3)
>>
>> and the following Python mapscript bench.py
>>
>> {{{
>>
>> import mapscript
>>
>> for i in range(200):
>>
>> map = mapscript.mapObj('gmap75.map')
>>
>> img1 = map.draw()
>>
>> }}}
>>
>> I ran it 10 times consecutively with each config and took the smallest
>> time ("real" figure)
>>
>> With USE_POINT_Z_M=OFF
>>
>> time python bench.py
>>
>> real 0m4.167s
>>
>> user 0m3.964s
>>
>> sys 0m0.200s
>>
>> With USE_POINT_Z_M=ON
>>
>> time python bench.py
>>
>> real 0m4.252s
>>
>> user 0m3.972s
>>
>> sys 0m0.260s
>>
>> So USE_POINT_Z_M=ON is 2% slower than OFF
>>
>> On a recent (~ 1 year old) laptop with a
>>
>> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
>>
>> Even
>>
>> --
>>
>> Spatialys - Geospatial professional services
>>
>> http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Michael Smith
Is it something we should even consider removing as a compile time option? Perhaps at an v8 release?

Michael Smith
Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Before this past long weekend I was testing with Windows and getting about a 1% difference; but I didn't report it here because I was using the 'wallclock' time and not CPU time, on Windows.  (that was with Even's 200 map draw test)  I personally feel that the difference is so minimal now that yes, we should enable SUPPORTS=POINT_Z_M for the next MS4W release.
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/
>

>> On 2017-07-03 4:49 AM, Daniel Hardes wrote:
>> Do we need more testing or could "USE_POINT_Z_M = ON" the default in the next release?
>>> Even Rouault <[hidden email]> hat am 30. Juni 2017 um 16:40 geschrieben:

>>> OK, I downloaded
>>>
>>> http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms46.tar.gz
>>>
>>> (not sure if there's a more uptodate version of it).
>>>
>>> Added the necessary MAP and SYMBOLSET keywords in the mapfile and symbolset file.
>>>
>>> With master, compiled in Release (-O3)
>>>
>>> and the following Python mapscript bench.py
>>>
>>> {{{
>>>
>>> import mapscript
>>>
>>> for i in range(200):
>>>
>>> map = mapscript.mapObj('gmap75.map')
>>>
>>> img1 = map.draw()
>>>
>>> }}}
>>>
>>> I ran it 10 times consecutively with each config and took the smallest time ("real" figure)
>>>
>>> With USE_POINT_Z_M=OFF
>>>
>>> time python bench.py
>>>
>>> real 0m4.167s
>>>
>>> user 0m3.964s
>>>
>>> sys 0m0.200s
>>>
>>> With USE_POINT_Z_M=ON
>>>
>>> time python bench.py
>>>
>>> real 0m4.252s
>>>
>>> user 0m3.972s
>>>
>>> sys 0m0.260s
>>>
>>> So USE_POINT_Z_M=ON is 2% slower than OFF
>>>
>>> On a recent (~ 1 year old) laptop with a
>>>
>>> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
>>>
>>> Even
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Spatialys - Geospatial professional services
>>>
>>> http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

jmckenna
Administrator
Or leaving the compile time option but enabling it by default?  (maybe
we are saying the same thing ha)

-jeff

On 2017-07-04 5:57 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Is it something we should even consider removing as a compile time option? Perhaps at an v8 release?
>
> Michael Smith
> Remote Sensing/GIS Center
> US Army Corps of Engineers
>
>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Before this past long weekend I was testing with Windows and getting about a 1% difference; but I didn't report it here because I was using the 'wallclock' time and not CPU time, on Windows.  (that was with Even's 200 map draw test)  I personally feel that the difference is so minimal now that yes, we should enable SUPPORTS=POINT_Z_M for the next MS4W release.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> --
>> Jeff McKenna
>> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
>> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/
>>

>>> On 2017-07-03 4:49 AM, Daniel Hardes wrote:
>>> Do we need more testing or could "USE_POINT_Z_M = ON" the default in the next release?

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
Maybe to mapserver-dev for a discussion? Could apply the patch (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5456) to 7.2.