3.8.x vs 3.10.x documentation location?

jody.garnett
I am on a bit of a merry chase trying to update user docs for...

3.8x vs 3.10.x confusion

- links are to 3.8.x but 3.10.x is latest version?
- why not use "develop" branch?

- There is no 3.10.x available?

- this page so for 3.8.x version, but provides instructions for updating to 3.10.x?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: 3.8.x vs 3.10.x documentation location?

Francois Prunayre
Hi,

I don't think we have resources to maintain one doc per branches and that's why we changed the website last year with 'Stable version (3.4/3.6/3.8/3.10)". Making (and using) only one link for all would make sense so that the URL is not misleading users
https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/trunk/en/index.html (maybe a redirect could be set up in the website ?)
and maybe better identify which features is available in which version in the doc.

Cheers.

Francois

Le jeu. 30 janv. 2020 à 00:34, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I am on a bit of a merry chase trying to update user docs for...

3.8x vs 3.10.x confusion

- links are to 3.8.x but 3.10.x is latest version?
- why not use "develop" branch?

- There is no 3.10.x available?

- this page so for 3.8.x version, but provides instructions for updating to 3.10.x?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: 3.8.x vs 3.10.x documentation location?

Francois Prunayre
To be checked with Jose or Juan for the server setup, but I think all folders are pointing to the same folder.
and setup a permanent redirect for all other URLs?

Francois

Le jeu. 30 janv. 2020 à 16:10, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Paul van Genuchten
Francois, in your mail from jan 30, you seem to suggest not to have different versions of the documentation, but only latest. To me that is not an optimal solution to solve the case that we’re low on doc-capacity. In stead I’d suggest to freeze documentation on older versions of geonetwork, but still keep it online for some years, maybe flag it as unmaintained.

- Features not available in older versions, but documented, may mislead users (would need a comment: this feature is new since 3.4)
- Features with big changes will mislead users (would need a comment: this feature has been redesigned in 3.8)
- Features not available in newer versions, how long do you keep it in documentation (would need a comment: this feature has been deprecated in 3.6)

Hi,

I don't think we have resources to maintain one doc per branches and that's why we changed the website last year with 'Stable version (3.4/3.6/3.8/3.10)". Making (and using) only one link for all would make sense so that the URL is not misleading users
https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/trunk/en/index.html (maybe a redirect could be set up in the website ?)
and maybe better identify which features is available in which version in the doc.

Cheers.

Francois

Re: 3.8.x vs 3.10.x documentation location?

jody.garnett
I agree that that would be easier to maintain Paul.

Can you confirm that the dot releases do not require documentation changes? Like are 3.8.0 docs the same as for 3.8.3?
--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 10:19, Paul van Genuchten <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul,

Le mer. 5 févr. 2020 à 10:19, Paul van Genuchten <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Francois, in your mail from jan 30, you seem to suggest not to have different versions of the documentation, but only latest. To me that is not an optimal solution to solve the case that we’re low on doc-capacity. In stead I’d suggest to freeze documentation on older versions of geonetwork,
but still keep it online for some years, maybe flag it as unmaintained.

- Features not available in older versions, but documented, may mislead users (would need a comment: this feature is new since 3.4)
- Features with big changes will mislead users (would need a comment: this feature has been redesigned in 3.8)
- Features not available in newer versions, how long do you keep it in documentation (would need a comment: this feature has been deprecated in 3.6)

We have indication on how to flag new/deprecated features by version
but as we don't dedicate that much energy to this I don't think the doc is really representative of any versions in time. It has some information but has highlighted in the google summer of doc status document it has a number of areas to be improved.
So indicating "this is the doc for version 3.2.7" would be also quite misleading I think. Having only one doc online make search engine pointing to the most representative version too - which gives end user more chance to find the latest/more up to date info.
Once we could consider a version of the doc representative of a version, then it could make more sense to have per version documentation.
But if you think we should make one doc per version, -0 from me and +1 for adding versionadded, versionchanged and deprecated flags.

Cheers

Francois

Hi,

I don't think we have resources to maintain one doc per branches and that's why we changed the website last year with 'Stable version (3.4/3.6/3.8/3.10)". Making (and using) only one link for all would make sense so that the URL is not misleading users
https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/trunk/en/index.html (maybe a redirect could be set up in the website ?)
and maybe better identify which features is available in which version in the doc.

Cheers.

Francois

Re: 3.8.x vs 3.10.x documentation location?

jody.garnett
Thanks for working this out with me Francois.

Okay I caught up with some co-workers, and the build script is now updated: trunk and 3.10.x are now published!

I have a PR for the website (https://github.com/geonetwork/website/pull/17) to link to trunk and the published versions.

I am uncomfortable using master to document a range of functionality across different versions as that is very hard to maintain. Reading Paul's email ... freezing documentation at each release is far cheaper to maintain. To make that work we would need to go back to the 3.8.x branch and change the submodule revision to just before the 3.10.x release notes were added.

--
Jody Garnett

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 09:38, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I don't mind what is done so long as it is not half doing both solutions.... which is what started this email thread :)

- So if you want a single version of the docs for version 3.x ... then we should remove the 3.10.x, 3.8.x, ...  folders.
--
Jody Garnett