2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

John Bryant
Hi OSGeo Oceania board,

Our Constitution says:

In order to implement staggered terms [...] half of the newly-elected Directors will be appointed to a half term of one year. These Directors will volunteer or be chosen by random selection.

The purpose of this is to make sure that in future, annual board elections will only be for half the positions, to make sure there's continuity across years.

By way of a process, I propose this:
  1. Directors volunteer for 1 year terms (with 2 years being the default).
  2. If needed to re-balance, we draw straws to ensure we have half for each of 1 & 2 year terms. Since we have 9 directors this will be 4/5 or 5/4. We can draw straws at our board meeting this coming Thursday.
For example:
  • 2 directors volunteer for a 1 year term: draw 2 straws from the remaining 7 directors, and the short straws take a 1 year term -> 5 @ 2 years, 4 @ 1 year
  • 6 directors volunteer for a 1 year term: draw 1 straw from those 6 directors, and the short straw takes a 2 year term -> 4 @ 2 years, 5 @ 1 year
Sound fair?

I'm happy to volunteer for a 1 year term.

Cheers
John

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

adam steer-2
Hey all

I am also happy to volunteer for one year.

+1 for John's process.

Cheers,

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm John Bryant, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Martin Tomko

Same here,

+1 for process, and volunteering for 1 year.

M.

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

Trisha Moriarty
+1 for proposal
And I will volunteer for a 1 year term

Trish

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 10:31 am, Martin Tomko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Same here,

+1 for process, and volunteering for 1 year.

M.

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

Alex Leith
+1

And I volunteer for a one year term

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 3:16 am, Trisha Moriarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for proposal
And I will volunteer for a 1 year term

Trish

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 10:31 am, Martin Tomko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Same here,

+1 for process, and volunteering for 1 year.

M.

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

John Bryant
My bad, I forgot to put it on the meeting agenda and thus we forgot to do this. We have 6 volunteers for a 1 year term and need to balance it out, so we draw straws.

I just drew straws, and Daniel drew the "short straw". The obvious problem with this is that nobody can verify this wasn't after 5 attempts at getting the result I wanted, it would have worked much better if I had remembered to do this during the meeting.

Alternatives? Or take my word for it?

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

Martin Tomko

I trust you – same question as Alex, though

M.

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

adam steer-2
Hi all

If thats OK by Daniel it’s OK by me.

Regards, and thanks John

Adam

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 14:13, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yep that's what it means...

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 14:09, Martin Tomko <[hidden email]> wrote:

I trust you – same question as Alex, though

M.

Re: 2020 board directors: 1 & 2 year terms

Daniel Silk
Okay, thanks for that John. So, to summarise:

2 year term
Daniel Silk
Dionne Hansen
Em Hain