2019 Icebreaker

Daniel Silk
Hi all

I've had a look at four venues for the Icebreaker - Foxtail, Flamingo Joe's, Husk and The Library. I think that Foxtail is the best combination of pricing / convenience / responsiveness.

Foxtail is only open to the public on Friday nights, the rest of the time it's a function venue attached to a much larger venue called Foxglove. Half way down this page [1] there are a couple of pictures.

Capacity is 100 people inside - it has 2 balconies that probably add another 50, although we can't guarantee sunshine. It is right on the waterfront so the balconies have nice views out to the harbour. It is an 8 minute walk from the workshop venue.

I figure we select canapes from the function menu [2] that look something like this, retaining a decent selection for those with common dietary requirements:

Canapes:
- Market fish ceviche, Pico de Gallo, wasabi crème, orange (gf)
- Cajun spiced crispy squid, lime mayo (df)
- Seared eye fillet, mustard crème, house pickled mustard, sourdough crostini
- Moroccan spiced lamb skewer, raita (gf)
- Kumara rosti, homemade aioli, sour cherry (gf, v)
- Heirloom tomato, buffalo mozzarella, Aceto, basil, sourdough crostini (v)
- Camembert bite, tomato relish (v)
- Beetroot macaron, vanilla creme (gf, v)

If we order 16 pieces per person at $36pp for 40 people (640 canapes total), we can get more options and better value for money, but that amount of canapes will suit for up to 100 people. It's still more than 6 canapes per person for 100, around 8.5 per person for our estimate of 75 attendees for this event.

This would leave enough budget for 2 drinks per person (provided as tokens), as long as we select drinks $12.50 and under (which is still a good range [3] of beers, wines, soft drinks).

There is a minimum spend and a small hire fee, these commercial details are in the budget [4] given that this message is on a public mailing list.

Finally, one of the entrances to this venue is through a wardrobe (Narnia-esque), just for something a little different.

Ngā mihi
Daniel