2019 Budget Proposal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2019 Budget Proposal

Alex Mandel-2
Team,

The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019

Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and
reasoning. Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and
then vote next week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.

Thanks,
Alex
_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2019 Budget Proposal

Regina Obe
1K sounds too little for replacement cost.

Let's budget $7,000 in case of complete replacement required.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sac [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Alex M
> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 11:46 AM
> To: sac >> System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [SAC] 2019 Budget Proposal
>
> Team,
>
> The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019
>
> Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and reasoning.
> Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and then vote next
> week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
> _______________________________________________
> Sac mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2019 Budget Proposal

Alex Mandel-2
$1000 was for parts, hard drives, power supplies, etc... based roughly
on historical needs. We've rarely spent more than $500 on actual
replacement parts. In fact we usually only manage to spend 50% of our
budget in any given year.

I will check with the board, in the past, I believe they wanted actual
expected expenditures, and that they would keep the reserve(rainy day
fund) in case of bigger costs like unexpected whole server replacement.

Thanks,
Alex

On 1/7/19 11:23, Regina Obe wrote:

> 1K sounds too little for replacement cost.
>
> Let's budget $7,000 in case of complete replacement required.
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Sac [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Alex M
>> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 11:46 AM
>> To: sac >> System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [SAC] 2019 Budget Proposal
>>
>> Team,
>>
>> The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019
>>
>> Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and reasoning.
>> Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and then vote next
>> week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sac mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
>

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2019 Budget Proposal

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by Alex Mandel-2
One thing to include in budget is ... migrating wiki logins to ldap. The board asked last year (as the split is being confusing to explain to new members of our community) and we got into a bit into the details of what it would take technically. So question is what would it take to implement - and can we include that in our budget?

I assume we should consider a small contract for this activity as it has proven to have too low a fun to fun/effort ratio to attract a volunteer :)
--
Jody Garnett


On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 08:51, Alex M <[hidden email]> wrote:
Team,

The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019

Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and
reasoning. Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and
then vote next week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.

Thanks,
Alex
_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2019 Budget Proposal

Angelos Tzotsos
In reply to this post by Alex Mandel-2
Hi,

Ideally we should have an estimate of what is to be actually spent but
we understand that this cannot be 100% accurate.
I will provide a hint: In cases of emergency (like a server failure) the
board can make amendments to the yearly budget.
So the question is: do we need to regularly buy a new server in 2019?

Cheers,
Angelos

On 1/7/19 10:38 PM, Alex M wrote:

> $1000 was for parts, hard drives, power supplies, etc... based roughly
> on historical needs. We've rarely spent more than $500 on actual
> replacement parts. In fact we usually only manage to spend 50% of our
> budget in any given year.
>
> I will check with the board, in the past, I believe they wanted actual
> expected expenditures, and that they would keep the reserve(rainy day
> fund) in case of bigger costs like unexpected whole server replacement.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 1/7/19 11:23, Regina Obe wrote:
>> 1K sounds too little for replacement cost.
>>
>> Let's budget $7,000 in case of complete replacement required.
>>
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Sac [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Alex M
>>> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 11:46 AM
>>> To: sac >> System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo
>>> <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: [SAC] 2019 Budget Proposal
>>>
>>> Team,
>>>
>>> The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
>>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019
>>>
>>> Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and reasoning.
>>> Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and then vote next
>>> week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Sac mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
> _______________________________________________
> Sac mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac


--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2019 Budget Proposal

Regina Obe
In reply to this post by Alex Mandel-2
I think for SysAdmin we should budget for 2 contracts.

Martin's contract also is only half used - if Martin is around and willing, would be nice if we can push his contract forward.

I'd be willing to take up a contract slot for SysAdmin - to focus on finishing off the OSGeo7 configuration,  container setups, backup, and any other odds and ends requested by folks such as dns registry stuff.

Vicky mentioned (sorry for putting words in your mouth Vicky :) that she'd be interested in a contract as well - mostly focused on the wordpress support stuff she's been doing already and anything else we can throw on her plate.  However she'd like to be paid in travel expenses as she'd like to be able to attend more OSGeo conferences than she has currently been able to.  I'm not sure if we can setup some sort of budget transfer to pgRouting etc. for any work she does to accomplish that set aside for her travel expenses.

Thanks,
Regina

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sac [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Alex M
> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 11:46 AM
> To: sac >> System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [SAC] 2019 Budget Proposal
>
> Team,
>
> The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019
>
> Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and reasoning.
> Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and then vote next
> week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
> _______________________________________________
> Sac mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2019 Budget Proposal

jody.garnett
Would recommend keeping contracts in terms of money, and trusting Vicky to arrange travel.

Also pgrouting is covered under OSGeo community initiative of specific travel can help that project.  

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think for SysAdmin we should budget for 2 contracts.

Martin's contract also is only half used - if Martin is around and willing, would be nice if we can push his contract forward.

I'd be willing to take up a contract slot for SysAdmin - to focus on finishing off the OSGeo7 configuration,  container setups, backup, and any other odds and ends requested by folks such as dns registry stuff.

Vicky mentioned (sorry for putting words in your mouth Vicky :) that she'd be interested in a contract as well - mostly focused on the wordpress support stuff she's been doing already and anything else we can throw on her plate.  However she'd like to be paid in travel expenses as she'd like to be able to attend more OSGeo conferences than she has currently been able to.  I'm not sure if we can setup some sort of budget transfer to pgRouting etc. for any work she does to accomplish that set aside for her travel expenses.

Thanks,
Regina

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sac [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Alex M
> Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 11:46 AM
> To: sac >> System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [SAC] 2019 Budget Proposal
>
> Team,
>
> The board is requesting our 2019 budget proposal. I've started a draft.
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2019
>
> Please reply to this thread with your ideas, estimated costs, and reasoning.
> Let's get all the ideas in this week, so we can discuss, and then vote next
> week (Jan 17) at our meeting time.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
> _______________________________________________
> Sac mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac
--
--
Jody Garnett

_______________________________________________
Sac mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/sac