2019 Activities

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear All
I wonder who wants to contribute to the activities of the organization of the new UN OSGeo Challenge for 2019. They are similar to what we did in 2018 (see the wiki for more pieces of information). The topics we proposed are:
1) preparing PostGIS training material
2)  computing SDGs with FOSS4G and open data.
We need people who want to mentor on these two projects, helping before in organizing the challenge (open call/collection of applications/evaluation of applications).

Please, if you have time and are willing to help on that write here or contact privately Serena and/or me.
Best regards
Maria and Serena

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Digital Mapping
Politecnico di Milano

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3161-556

Re: 2019 Activities

Cameron Shorter

Maria, Serena,

I'll be offering to mentor a Google Season of Docs [1] initiative, which I hope to do on behalf of OSGeoLive and OSGeo (if there is support from OSGeo). This initiative will be for 1 technical writer to work part time for ~ 3 months on an open source project, which could be put toward something like PostGIS training.

Would that be of interest? What resources do you currently have access to? I'm in the process of collating ideas [2] which could be extended to include PostGIS. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

[1] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/

[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yriJoybYjsCKhprNLNGGanw8HRA5Z8GhrNrA5RjavUU/edit#

On 26/3/19 11:01 pm, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

R: 2019 Activities

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Cameron
thanks! The exigence is to update/improve/rethink the Boundless training that we used for the UN Open GIS Initiative.
Ivana, who was the wonderful leader of the mentors in the PostGIS training, can better explain how the material must be improved. The mentors of the OSGeo UN challenge are volunteers who help a young person in preparing the material.

To better understand, please check what we did last year:

The outcome of the projects are here:

1) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Training_Material_for_UN_Open_GIS_Spiral_1

2) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Training_Material_for_UN_Open_GIS_Spiral_3

3) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Training_Material_for_UN_Open_GIS_OpenData

The winners of the 2018 Challenge were respectively:

1) Ketty Adoch (https://www.linkedin.com/in/ketty-adoch/?originalSubdomain=ug),

2) Silvia Franceschi (https://www.linkedin.com/in/silvia-franceschi-93909314/?trk=public-profile-join-page

3) Maria Ilie Codrina (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Codrina_Ilie

Mentors of OSGeo UN Challenge 2018 were: Christina Hupy,  Haekyong Kang, Minpa Li, Serena Coetzee and Maria Brovelli.

Are you interested, then, in being a mentor for a  PostGIS training?

Cheers

Maria

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Digital Mapping
Politecnico di Milano

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3161-556

Re: 2019 Activities

Cameron Shorter
Hi Maria,
I'm interested in being a mentor in the process, and coordinator of people, and am looking for a project to test ideas in, and then expand out to other OSGeo projects. PostGIS would be a good project for that. I am also considering QGIS. My key decider will be to determine where we can find the most volunteers to make this sustainable.

I have minimal PostGIS domain expertise, but do know about coordination, and a bit about writing good documentation.
I'm particularly interested in how we can take projects such as this PostGIS training and make it sustainably maintained, and also to expand lessons from this project to other OSGeo projects (in particular through the use of templates).

Feel free to loop in other people who you think might be interested.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: 2019 Activities

Cameron Shorter

Hi Ivana,

Re PostGIS course, am I right in assuming that the material you used with UN initiative is here: https://postgis.net/workshops/postgis-intro/index.html ?

If so, this material is freely available under a creative commons license.

Re Google Season of Docs timeframe: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/timeline

Organisation application due 23 April 2019

Writing done: August - November 2019

There are limited tech writers available (when compared to Google Summer of Code); 50 in total so I'd expect OSGeo would only get access to 1.

So how could we lever that tech writer to super-charge the writing capability of our existing community?

In particular, are there gaps or improvements in PostGIS (or other OSGeo project) documentation that a tech writer could add significant value to?

I'd like to see the Google Season of Docs used as a focal point to tackle hard open source documentation challenges, probably by working on a pilot in one project, developing template(s) in conjunction with volunteer users and developers to create a pattern than can be followed.

Is this of interest to you as well?

On 27/3/19 12:55 pm, Ivana Ivanova wrote:

Hi Maria (and all),

This is the material we used in the UN OpenGIS’s PostGIS course:

Introduction to PostGIS, release 1.0, authored by Mark Leslie and Paul Ramsey. This material belongs to Boundless – can we re-use it in the Spiral 2 challenge?

If not, then we just develop new course material and listing requirements for update become meaningless – we will need to design a new course structure.

I’m not sure when the challenge is due to run (I’m not subscribed to un@osgeo list so might have missed some email traffic on this), but if you need UN Challenge mentors, I’m could be available – let me know about the dates, please.

Not sure we answered anything for Cameron as yet… still hitting the ‘send’ button to wait for follow-up questions, if any.

Regards,

Ivana

Ivana Ivánová
Senior Lecturer/FrontierSI (former CRCSI) Research Fellow

Spatial Sciences
School of Earth and Planetary Sciences

Faculty of Science and Engineering

Curtin University

Tel | +61 8 9266 2286
Mobile |+61 475 885 991

Email |[hidden email]
Web |https://staffportal.curtin.edu.au/staff/profile/view/Ivana.Ivanova

Curtin University is a trademark of Curtin University of Technology.
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J