2018 grant voting is closed

12

2018 grant voting is closed

Anita Graser
Hi,

The grant voting form is now closed. We received 29 votes from 18 community representatives and 11 user group representatives.

I've run the numbers to determine the successful proposals but I think we should have at least two more PSC members cross checking the results before publishing them:

Please have a look and let me know if you confirm. My plan would be to announce the successful proposals on Sunday 24th June.

Regards,
Anita

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

pcav
Hi Anita,

Il 18/06/2018 11:36, Anita Graser ha scritto:

> The grant voting form is now closed. We received 29 votes from 18
> community representatives and 11 user group representatives.
>
> I've run the numbers to determine the successful proposals but I think
> we should have at least two more PSC members cross checking the results
> before publishing them:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e72Z_3jQgCF4cPF6L77W-VptpJX0wSwjFI1TIvGttLU/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Please have a look and let me know if you confirm. My plan would be to
> announce the successful proposals on Sunday 24th June.

thanks for the good job. I have checked the spreadsheet, and it seems OK
to me. I must say I am happy with the results. I understand the proposal
for updating the training manual exceeds the budget. I would be in
favour of extending it if, as I understand, our global budget allows
this (Andreas?).
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Anita

In the past the votes were weighted by their position for most votes (probably grants too). So that means a proposal getting this number of votes:

Choice.  | Votes
1 | 2
2 | 3
3 | 4

Would get a score of 3*2 + 2*3 + 1 * 4

I just took a quick look at your sheet but it seems it just tallies the total number of votes.

Regards

Tim

On 18 Jun 2018, at 11:36, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The grant voting form is now closed. We received 29 votes from 18 community representatives and 11 user group representatives.

I've run the numbers to determine the successful proposals but I think we should have at least two more PSC members cross checking the results before publishing them:

Please have a look and let me know if you confirm. My plan would be to announce the successful proposals on Sunday 24th June.

Regards,
Anita

---

Tim Sutton

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

Anita Graser
Thank you for checking, Tim!

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anita
In the past the votes were weighted by their position for most votes (probably grants too).

​I must have misremembered the methodology. I've looked up last year's voting sheet now and found the computations. I'll apply it to the 2018 votes.

Regards,
Anita​

qgis-icon-60x60.png (5K) Download Attachment
qgis-icon-60x60.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

pcav
Hi Tim,

Il 18/06/2018 13:46, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Hi Anita
>
> In the past the votes were weighted by their position for most votes
> (probably grants too). So that means a proposal getting this number of
> votes:
>

> Choice.  | Votes
> 1 | 2
> 2 | 3
> 3 | 4
>
> Would get a score of 3*2 + 2*3 + 1 * 4
>
> I just took a quick look at your sheet but it seems it just tallies the
> total number of votes.

thanks for chacking. Is the process documented somewhere?
All the best.

Il 18/06/2018 14:15, Anita Graser ha scritto:

> Thank you for checking, Tim!
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Anita
>     In the past the votes were weighted by their position for most votes
>     (probably grants too).
>

> ​I must have misremembered the methodology. I've looked up last year's
> voting sheet now and found the computations. I'll apply it to the 2018
> votes.

AFAICT this does not change the ranking, right? The robustness of
results is a good thing per se.
All the best.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 18/06/2018 14:15, Anita Graser ha scritto:
> Thank you for checking, Tim!
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Anita
>     In the past the votes were weighted by their position for most votes
>     (probably grants too).
>

> ​I must have misremembered the methodology. I've looked up last year's
> voting sheet now and found the computations. I'll apply it to the 2018
> votes.

AFAICT this does not change the ranking, right? The robustness of
results is a good thing per se.

​There are changes on position 5+6 were scores are really close.

Regards,
Anita

All the best.

Il 18/06/2018 14:51, Anita Graser ha scritto:

> ​There are changes on position 5+6 were scores are really close.

in particular,
11 QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS has been replaced by
8 Charts and drawings on attribute forms
right?
All the best, and thanks again, Anita.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 18/06/2018 14:51, Anita Graser ha scritto:
> ​There are changes on position 5+6 were scores are really close.
in particular,
11 QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS has been replaced by
8 Charts and drawings on attribute forms
right?

​Yes, that is correct. ​
I wasn't planning to announce the proposals in a piece-wise fashion. That's why I didn't put names in the emails, but since you've been providing such fast review and feedback, we might as well announce the results soon - if another PSC member can review and confirms.

​Anita​

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

DelazJ
Hi Paolo

Formally documented, no afaik. But here's where it has been mentioned as far as i remember: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Selection-of-successful-QGIS-grant-applications-td5317852.html#a5317903

Regards,
Harrissou

Hi Tim,

Il 18/06/2018 13:46, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi Anita
>
> In the past the votes were weighted by their position for most votes
> (probably grants too). So that means a proposal getting this number of
> votes:
>

> Choice.  | Votes
> 1 | 2
> 2 | 3
> 3 | 4
>
> Would get a score of 3*2 + 2*3 + 1 * 4
>
> I just took a quick look at your sheet but it seems it just tallies the
> total number of votes.

thanks for chacking. Is the process documented somewhere?
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

Marco Bernasocchi-2

Hi Anita,

Thanks for running all the numbers

I Will review today

cheers

Marco

On 18.06.2018 15:11, Anita Graser wrote:

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 18/06/2018 14:51, Anita Graser ha scritto:
> ​There are changes on position 5+6 were scores are really close.
in particular,
11 QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS has been replaced by
8 Charts and drawings on attribute forms
right?

​Yes, that is correct. ​
I wasn't planning to announce the proposals in a piece-wise fashion. That's why I didn't put names in the emails, but since you've been providing such fast review and feedback, we might as well announce the results soon - if another PSC member can review and confirms.

​Anita​

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Co-chair
http://berna.io

Il 19/06/2018 01:09, DelazJ ha scritto:
> Hi Paolo
>
> Formally documented, no afaik. But here's where it has been mentioned as
> far as i remember:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Selection-of-successful-QGIS-grant-applications-td5317852.html#a5317903

Thanks Harissou.
Anita, would you mind to document the whole process and let us know?
All the best.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:04 PM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 19/06/2018 01:09, DelazJ ha scritto:
> Hi Paolo
>
> Formally documented, no afaik. But here's where it has been mentioned as
> far as i remember:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Selection-of-successful-QGIS-grant-applications-td5317852.html#a5317903

Thanks Harissou.
Anita, would you mind to document the whole process and let us know?

​Will do.
Anita​

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Anita,

Thanks for organizing the whole QGIS grants thing and for doing the scores.

Even though we communicated 25k € for grants, I think we can also commit to 29'5 k. Our financial situation allows it.

So for me, it would be ok, to communicate the results.

----------------

Personally, I would have had some other priorities than the voting results (e.g. infrastructure stuff like "setting registry" or "QGIS server OGC compliance ...") are more important to me than "Charts and drawings on attribute forms" or "R provider". I also thought that for the latter two, are more likely to find alternative financial resources - but of course - this is democracy and I will certainly and happily also use the "charts and drawings in the forms" - once they are available ;-)

Thanks and greetings,

Andreas

Re: 2018 grant voting is closed

Marco Bernasocchi-2

Hi Anita, not sure if I found a mistake or if I understand your sheet wrongly.

The formula used is:
=COUNTIF('Form Responses 1'!B$2:B$25, $B3)
which is the same as the one used in the March 2017 document that had 23 respondents.

shoulden't this year be:
=COUNTIF('Form Responses 1'!B$2:B$31, $B3)

Beside that it looks good to me.

Cheers
Marco

On 19.06.2018 13:05, Andreas Neumann wrote:

[...]

Thanks for checking, Marco! It's good to have multiple pairs of eyes checking these things!

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:48 PM Marco Bernasocchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
​​

shoulden't this year be:
=COUNTIF('Form Responses 1'!B$2:B$31, $B3)

​You're absolutely right. I've fixed it now.

This gives us 5 top proposals for € 23,500 or top 6 for € 30,500. For the full results see:

I'll prepare a blog post in the upcoming days.

Il 19/06/2018 19:43, Anita Graser ha scritto:

> Thanks for checking, Marco! It's good to have multiple pairs of eyes
> checking these things!
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:48 PM Marco Bernasocchi <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> ​​
>
>     shoulden't this year be:
>     =COUNTIF('Form Responses 1'!B$2:B$31, $B3)
>
> ​You're absolutely right. I've fixed it now.
>
> This gives us 5 top proposals for € 23,500 or top 6 for € 30,500. For
> the full results see:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltk4zp2zqr2hd8t/voting_results.PNG?dl=0
>
> I'll prepare a blog post in the upcoming days.

Thanks.
For the future, better having a spreadsheet template, so correct
calculations will already be there.
Thanks!

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 07:23 Paolo Cavallini, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks.
For the future, better having a spreadsheet template, so correct
calculations will already be there.
Thanks!
This was taken by a template.
We just always need to make sure as Anita asked that we stick to a 4 eyes principle.

Cheers

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:23 AM Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the future, better having a spreadsheet template, so correct
calculations will already be there.

​Yeah, using last year's spreadsheet as a template was part of the problem because the number of responses changes and the template wasn't designed to deal with that automatically. I'll try to make a better one for next year.

Regards,
Anita

12