2018 grant applications are now closed

Anita Graser
​Hi,

This is to let you know that the form for grant applications is now closed and that we have received ​14 applications totaling €67,100. I will be preparing the next steps over the following days.

Thank you for everyone who submitted their project proposals!

Regards,
Anita

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

Anita Graser
Hi,

As a quick teaser, here are the proposal titles:

1. GEarthView plugin porting to QGIS 3
2. Add OpenCL support for processing core algs
3. Welcome page improvements (QEP 102)
4. QGIS 3 Enhancement Georeferencer
5. Resurrect Processing "R" Provider as a plugin and maintain
6. Increased stability for Processing GUI and External Providers and maintenance of Processing
7. Update of QGIS Training Manual
8. Charts and drawings on attribute forms
9. Improve CAD editing tools (first round)
10. Export raster symbology in SLD 1.1 (with extensions as needed)
11. Get QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS
12. Real-life prototyping of QGIS Platform migration to GitLab
13. OSGeo4W updates
14. Setting registry

The next step will be to set up the voting form and email our voting members to review the proposals and cast their vote.

Regards,
Anita

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
​Hi,

This is to let you know that the form for grant applications is now closed and that we have received ​14 applications totaling €67,100. I will be preparing the next steps over the following days.

Thank you for everyone who submitted their project proposals!

Regards,
Anita

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

pcav
Thanks Anita, a very rich selection - the choice will be diffcult!
All the best.

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

Anita Graser
Hi,

The invitations have now been sent to our voting members.

Voting closes on Sunday, 17th June 2018 to give voting members time to review and discuss proposals with their respective user groups.

If anyone who should have received and invitation hasn't, please get in touch with me.

Regards,
Anita

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Anita, a very rich selection - the choice will be diffcult!
All the best.

Il 19/05/2018 19:02, Anita Graser ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have now compiled the applications summary
> at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1puMt5blo1FrIyFRcQDPDAvcOFOPAkxYH17q1OliGs70/edit?usp=sharing
>
> As a quick teaser, here are the proposal titles:
>
> 1. GEarthView plugin porting to QGIS 3
> 2. Add OpenCL support for processing core algs
> 3. Welcome page improvements (QEP 102)
> 4. QGIS 3 Enhancement Georeferencer
> 5. Resurrect Processing "R" Provider as a plugin and maintain
> 6. Increased stability for Processing GUI and External Providers and
> maintenance of Processing
> 7. Update of QGIS Training Manual
> 8. Charts and drawings on attribute forms
> 9. Improve CAD editing tools (first round)
> 10. Export raster symbology in SLD 1.1 (with extensions as needed)
> 11. Get QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS
> 12. Real-life prototyping of QGIS Platform migration to GitLab
> 13. OSGeo4W updates
> 14. Setting registry
>
> The next step will be to set up the voting form and email our voting
> members to review the proposals and cast their vote.
>
> Regards,
> Anita
>

> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     ​Hi,
>
>     This is to let you know that the form for grant applications is now
>     closed and that we have received ​14 applications totaling €67,100.
>     I will be preparing the next steps over the following days.
>
>     Thank you for everyone who submitted their project proposals!
>
>     Regards,
>     Anita

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

Nyall Dawson
On 20 May 2018 at 03:02, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have now compiled the applications summary at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1puMt5blo1FrIyFRcQDPDAvcOFOPAkxYH17q1OliGs70/edit?usp=sharing
>
> As a quick teaser, here are the proposal titles:
>
> 1. GEarthView plugin porting to QGIS 3
> 2. Add OpenCL support for processing core algs
> 3. Welcome page improvements (QEP 102)
> 4. QGIS 3 Enhancement Georeferencer
> 5. Resurrect Processing "R" Provider as a plugin and maintain
> 6. Increased stability for Processing GUI and External Providers and
> maintenance of Processing
> 7. Update of QGIS Training Manual
> 8. Charts and drawings on attribute forms
> 9. Improve CAD editing tools (first round)
> 10. Export raster symbology in SLD 1.1 (with extensions as needed)
> 11. Get QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS
> 12. Real-life prototyping of QGIS Platform migration to GitLab
> 13. OSGeo4W updates
> 14. Setting registry
>
> The next step will be to set up the voting form and email our voting members
> to review the proposals and cast their vote.

This is a great list of possible enhancements!

Since they are obviously not all going to be funded by the grant
proposal system, can I suggest that we pro-actively publicise this
list with a call out to external agencies to consider sponsoring the
fixes which do not get grant funding?

The recent success of the GDAL barn raising (https://gdalbarn.com/)
means that there's currently momentum and precedent for heavy
commercial sponsorship of open source software. It would be nice to
leverage off that to see if we can get additional funding for these
grant proposals, or alternative additional funding for 3.2 bug fixing!

Nyall

Il 22/05/2018 00:20, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> Since they are obviously not all going to be funded by the grant
> proposal system, can I suggest that we pro-actively publicise this
> list with a call out to external agencies to consider sponsoring the
> fixes which do not get grant funding?
>
> The recent success of the GDAL barn raising (https://gdalbarn.com/)
> means that there's currently momentum and precedent for heavy
> commercial sponsorship of open source software. It would be nice to
> leverage off that to see if we can get additional funding for these
> grant proposals, or alternative additional funding for 3.2 bug fixing!

Good idea, agreed fully. How do you suggest to proceed, besides the
usual blog post? BTW, who would be willing to write it?
All the best, and thanks.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 22/05/2018 00:20, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> Since they are obviously not all going to be funded by the grant
> proposal system, can I suggest that we pro-actively publicise this
> list with a call out to external agencies to consider sponsoring the
> fixes which do not get grant funding?
>
> The recent success of the GDAL barn raising (https://gdalbarn.com/)
> means that there's currently momentum and precedent for heavy
> commercial sponsorship of open source software. It would be nice to
> leverage off that to see if we can get additional funding for these
> grant proposals, or alternative additional funding for 3.2 bug fixing!

Good idea, agreed fully. How do you suggest to proceed, besides the
usual blog post? BTW, who would be willing to write it?
All the best, and thanks.

​And do you suggest to start this initiative now or after the voting that determines which proposals QGIS.ORG will fund?

Regards,
Anita​

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Anita,

I would first do the voting on the grant proposals and then the blog post about funded/unfunded proposals.

Are you preparing the voting?

Greetings,

Andreas

Il 23/05/2018 06:00, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
> Hi Anita,
>
> I would first do the voting on the grant proposals and then the blog
> post about funded/unfunded proposals.

Agreed. Doing it before would result in much confusion, I believe.
All the best.

On 23 May 2018 at 14:39, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il 23/05/2018 06:00, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
>> Hi Anita,
>>
>> I would first do the voting on the grant proposals and then the blog
>> post about funded/unfunded proposals.
>
> Agreed. Doing it before would result in much confusion, I believe.
> All the best.

Sorry - to clarify, what I think we could do before the results come
out is social media posts along the lines of:

"Interested in seeing SLD support improved in #QGIS? Support for
raster SLD styling has been proposed as one of the potential
beneficiaries of the latest round of #QGIS funding grants! Read about
the proposal at ...."

The intention was that interested parties would see this, and hope
that the improvement wins the grants. And then if they don't, they'll
have already been emotionally invested in the chance of the
improvements coming, and hopefully will have the motivation to provide
funds themselves... (that's the theory at least!)

If nothing else, it raises the profile of the grant scheme and the
work which goes on in the QGIS project.

Nyall

> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IT&q=qgis,arcgis

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

Anita Graser

On Wed, May 23, 2018, 06:00 Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Anita,

Are you preparing the voting?

The invitations have already been sent out on Monday via Google forms.

Regards
Anita

Greetings,

Andreas

On 2018-05-22 09:25, Anita Graser wrote:

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 22/05/2018 00:20, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> Since they are obviously not all going to be funded by the grant
> proposal system, can I suggest that we pro-actively publicise this
> list with a call out to external agencies to consider sponsoring the
> fixes which do not get grant funding?
>
> The recent success of the GDAL barn raising (https://gdalbarn.com/)
> means that there's currently momentum and precedent for heavy
> commercial sponsorship of open source software. It would be nice to
> leverage off that to see if we can get additional funding for these
> grant proposals, or alternative additional funding for 3.2 bug fixing!

Good idea, agreed fully. How do you suggest to proceed, besides the
usual blog post? BTW, who would be willing to write it?
All the best, and thanks.

​And do you suggest to start this initiative now or after the voting that determines which proposals QGIS.ORG will fund?

Regards,
Anita​

Re: 2018 grant applications are now closed

Régis Haubourg -2

well, the idea to have a place to advertise the call for fundings is very nice.

However I think we should separate this topic from the current grant app' process right now.
Let me explain why, advertising right now on the current grant application list is very biased. For instance, we have
many other ideas for funding that didn't land in the grant proposal for various reasons. First one is that Grant
application should not be oriented towards new features that can be directly funded (even if it's not easy). Second is
that the budget of 25K does not allow to apply for big projects. And we have also external timing and ressource
availability constraints issues.

So if we plan to relay some call for fundings via our communication channels, we should plan it in advance so that
anyone who wants to participate have the time to set up things right. If we go this way, any idea how we could settle
things up?

Regards
Régis