2017 membership process reminder

Vasile Crăciunescu
Dear all,

I would like to remind you that the rules/steps for 2017 OSGeo new
charter members nomination[1] are described in the Membership Process
wiki page[2]. To summarize, if you want to nominate a person you should:

1. confirm with the nominated person first;
2. email [hidden email] with their name, contact email and paragraph
describing why you are recommending this person as a Charter Member;

The CRO will verify with the nominee that they are willing to stand for
nomination and then will send the nomination to [hidden email].

I'm sending this reminder because some nominations did not follow those
steps. More specifically, some nominations were sent directly to this
list, CC-ing or not the CRO. All those nominations and the seconded
votes will be considered after nominee confirmation to the CRO that is
willing to stand for nomination (confirmation emails already sent by CRO).

Best,
Vasile & Jeff (your 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs)

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2017
[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process

Re: 2017 membership process reminder

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi everyone!

A reminder that today is the last day for nominations, so that means
"anywhere on Earth" today you can still submit nominations to
[hidden email] Note that we will accept *confirmations* from these
nominees for another 24 hours after that (each nominee must accept the
nomination by replying to our direct message).

Thanks all!  It's been great to see the passionate leaders from all
over, supporting OSGeo.

-Vasile & Jeff
CRO 2017 Election

On 2017-08-27 11:19 AM, Vasile Craciunescu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to remind you that the rules/steps for 2017 OSGeo new
> charter members nomination[1] are described in the Membership Process
> wiki page[2]. To summarize, if you want to nominate a person you should:
>
> 1. confirm with the nominated person first;
> 2. email [hidden email] with their name, contact email and paragraph
> describing why you are recommending this person as a Charter Member;
>
> The CRO will verify with the nominee that they are willing to stand for
> nomination and then will send the nomination to [hidden email].
>
> I'm sending this reminder because some nominations did not follow those
> steps. More specifically, some nominations were sent directly to this
> list, CC-ing or not the CRO. All those nominations and the seconded
> votes will be considered after nominee confirmation to the CRO that is
> willing to stand for nomination (confirmation emails already sent by CRO).
>
> Best,
> Vasile & Jeff (your 2017 OSGeo Elections CROs)
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2017
> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process

Re: 2017 membership process reminder

jody.garnett
Thanks Vasile & Jeff:

In today's osgeo meeting we discussed how to handle nominations that are light on details (some nominations only work if you know the person).

Can I ask the people who have seconded a nomination with a "+1" to provide additional details on what positive attribute the candidate displays in the our community to be considered as a charter member.

For reference here is the positive attributes list from the membership process page:

Recommended membership selection criteria include:
  • Members should believe in the general goals of the Foundation. To support and promote the use of free and open source geospatial software, education and data in a collaborative manner.
  • Previous participation in or support of OSGeo activities
  • The person should already have made a contribution to free and open source geospatial software, education or open data.
  • The person should be willing to put in time and effort on the Foundation, perhaps joining committee(s), or volunteering in some other way that gets the Foundation going.
  • Members should be prepared to work constructively and positively towards the goals of the Foundation. Good teamwork skills are an asset.
Membership nominations should strive to promote diversity:
  • Nominate members representing a diversity of geographic regions, diversity of projects, diversity of programming languages.
  • Nominate members representing and diversity of interests (e.g., corporate, hobbyist, educational, scientific).
  • Nominate members representing a diversity of humanity including gender and race
Thank you to everyone taking part in the nomination process, it is great to see our community growing!
--
Jody Garnett