2017 World Bank Land and Poverty Conference CfP and Registration

2017 World Bank Land and Poverty Conference CfP and Registration

Arnulf Christl-3
Folks,
following up from the FOSS4G 2016 conference in Bonn where "Land Information" was one of the four key topics this CfP from the World Bank may be of special interest to us.

I have personally attended the last three editions of this conference. Land Information is obviously all about geospatial and location but the community is widely unaware of the potential of geospatial software and even less so about Open Source. There are only a handful of software vendors in the domain and practically no Open Source providers.

In his keynote at FOSS4G Klaus Deininger (Lead Economist at the Development Research Group of the World Bank) specifically asked for support from the Open Source Geospatial Community to support the Land Information Domain with technical know-how (see the video of his presentation). If we (from the Open Source community in general) manage to get in a dozen of talks then we may even get a separate conference thread. Software tools from the FOSS4G domain like QGIS, PostGIS, OpenLayers, etc. already permeate many projects but are oftentimes not sustainable because of a lack of service providers and direct contact to the communities. This domain has basically been waiting for us.

Please note that the deadline for abstracts is approaching fast! See below for details:

The 2017 World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty will be held from March 20 to 24, 2017 in Washington D.C. under the theme of Responsible Land Governance: Towards an Evidence-Based Approach.

Reminder call for paper abstracts

Please note the deadline for individual paper abstract submission is Midnight October 31, 2016 (Eastern Standard Time). Please check the conference website for more information on conference themes, submission instructions and review process.

Call for lightning talk proposals: innovation day on March 23

The conference is partnering with the Open Geospatial Consortium to organize the 'Innovation Day' ("lightning talks" presenting use cases, followed by hands-on demonstrations). Please submit proposal for a lightning talk through the conference website (see also priority themes, submission instructions and review process).

Call for MasterClass proposals: learning & knowledge sharing day on March 24

The knowledge sharing and learning day (March 24) is an opportunity for presenting and discussing cutting edge tools, research approaches, and methodologies during focused 90 min sessions. Please submit proposal for a MasterClass through the conference website (please view the submission guidelines).

Early bird registration

We encourage you to take advantage of the early bird registration rate of $250, which will expire on December 15, 2016.

The conference brings together technical experts, government representatives, academia, CSO and industry from all over the world.

We very much look forward to your abstracts and meeting you at the conference.

Best regards,
Land Conference Team

--
Annual World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty
http://www.worldbank.org/landconference2017