2015 North American conference

aross
Hello Everyone,

Please excuse the cross post between OSGeo's discuss & conference_dev lists as well as LocationTech's discussion list. I'm hoping to enable inclusive discussion about an idea.

Bit of background, this coming May (19-21), LocationTech Summit is co-hosted with Location Intelligence in Washington D.C.. Travel restrictions for Federal Government employees for instance meant holding this in D.C. was important in 2014.

We have started planning for 2015, and I wanted to reach out and see if an idea might be of interest to the greater community.

The idea is to co-host LocationTech Summit, FOSS4G North America, and EclipseCon next year in the spring.

For those that haven't been:
  • EclipseCon is a great  developer conference & covers topics that I feel may be a really nice complement such as Science, Internet of Things, Automotive, Software development best practice, and more. While there are some awesome talks in the area, it's not just about the IDE. :-)
  • FOSS4G NA is the regional sibling of FOSS4G Global, also a great developer conference, and focused on geospatial technologies. It is a must attend event if you're into web mapping or looking for open source GIS solutions.
  • LocationTech Summit is new (first one this May), similar to FOSS4G however perhaps has a stronger focus on high performance geoprocessing technologies and new technologies like GeoGit for instance.
  • My feeble attempt at contrast aside, I think these last two will see a lot of the same speakers & audience.
A few thoughts:
  • We believe a combined event could likely be done to prioritize camaraderie which is so important for open source projects & community. i.e. avoid anyone feeling lost in a huge event.
  • We feel the mutual outreach to people across communities would be really useful, interesting, and spark wonderful ideas we can't predict.
  • The logistical work can be done by full time conference organizers who organize EclipseCon each year. The program is up to the communities to set.
  • For those seeking suppliers, partners, & customers, this should make for more opportunities.
  • Profit sharing with significant participating groups is doable. We're glad to help figure out a fair and amicable solution.
  • Ensuring each group are well served is a priority of course. We think this combined event might attract people who might not otherwise come to any of them. But we'll have to try and see.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Is this a good idea? Interested?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] 2015 North American conference

aross
Alex,

Thanks so much for taking the time to consider this idea & provide your
thoughts.

Yeah, I agree with you about the common interest & this was the basis of
reaching out.

I do think developing areas at Eclipse such as the IoT working group
focusing on sensors, actuators, and gateways share significant interest.
The new Science working group too.

While some folks probably don't care enough to go to a conference just
for the tools/development stuff, if it's available for them to pick what
they like to attend for no added cost, that might  be seen as pretty handy.

And I think the inverse is important... expose mainstream IT to
geospatial as much as possible. This is a nice way to do a bit of that.

Stating the obvious: It is a tremendous amount of work to organize a
conference. One event saves effort and cost. More importantly, it helps
avoid having to make tough choices between multiple events.

You made great points in your other email about moving around for
outreach. I agree. Also, for what it's worth, a tour to a bunch of
cities like LocationTech did last November helps reach a lot of people.
There's another one being planned for this year and people are invited
to get involved if they'd like.

Thanks again! I'd love to hear what others think too. I anticipate there
will be some really important things that need to be just right for this
to make sense so glad to talk about them.

Andrew

On 04/04/14 17:31, Alex Mandel wrote:

> II agree that Foss4g and LocationTech share interest and that separately
> LocationTech and EclipseCon share interest.
>
> However the jump from Foss4g to EclipseCon is only a small overlap of
> the communities.
>
> This statement doesn't really differentiate LocationTech from Foss4g for me:
> "...however perhaps has a stronger focus on high performance
>      geoprocessing technologies and new technologies like GeoGit for
>      instance."
> Plenty of Foss4g is interested in those topics. I see nothing in
> LocationTech that isn't also part of Foss4g conceptually. Just a focus
> on the Eclipse community for implementation methods.
>
> Perhaps LocationTech should split itself and partake in both things
> separately. e.g. LocationTech tracks and submeetings at each conference?

Re: 2015 North American conference

aross
Hi Everyone,

For those that might be interested in participating in this & especially up front in terms of outreach & helping sort out details to tune the idea so it works well, please contact me. Thank you very much to those that have already.

Some important decisions require immediate attention such as which city, what dates, and so forth.

Some possible cities suggested by people, for 2015, include:
D.C., San Francisco, Boston, San Diego

In terms of dates, late March or early April would be offset from the global FOSS4G & also from other very busy periods in the calendar. It lines up with EclipseCon, which co-hosting helps reduce organizing burden. For what it's worth, the overall conference would not be called EclipseCon to appeal to all constituents.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Andrew

On 04/04/14 17:02, Andrew Ross wrote:
[...]

David William Bitner-3
Andrew,

First of all, thank you for stepping up as willing to take on FOSS4G NA 2015.

Having made two calls to the broader community over the last several months looking for folks to express interest in hosting the NA event for 2015 with no response, I am excited to see someone with your experience stepping forward. Unless this thread spurs on another bid, at this point, I would not envision necessity for a competitive bid for this event.

I think that co-hosting the event with Eclipse and LocationTech can both help boost the profile and the make this event logistically easier. I think the most critical piece in joining these events this year will be in making sure that we can keep the FOSS4G and OSGeo branding prominent.

Keep in mind as well (anyone else here too that might want to provide a competing bid!), that we have earmarked ~$20K from the Minneapolis event to help bootstrap a 2015 NA FOSS4G.

David

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David,

Thank you. Our team is always glad to support the ecosystem.

Personally, I'm jazzed at the potential and looking forward to having a lot of fun with this.

You're spot-on. We recognize the branding is a crucial bit of this. It's not simple, but I think we should be able to figure out a way to do it that works for everyone. For those that have ideas or want to participate, please speak up ASAP.

Cheers!

Andrew

On 07/04/14 13:50, David William Bitner wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom,

Sorry, not yet. We're doing venue RFP's in a number of cities for between mid-March & mid-April.

Naturally we're looking to avoid Easter & as best we can avoid march break, which isn't easy.

Andrew

On 07/04/14 15:07, T M wrote:
Andrew

I know it is far away, but do you have possible dates for the conference? I usually attend another conference at the end of April, so I was just wondering if it will conflict

Thanks
Tom Mueller

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Re: [Board] 2015 North American conference

Daniel Morissette
Hi Everyone,

FYI, at the Vienna Sprint two weeks ago, we had a similar discussion
about the (lack of) decision process for the location of FOSS4G-Europe.
The people involved in the discussion included past FOSS4G and
FOSS4G-CEE organizers, some key members of the EU community and a few
board members, and the conclusion on the question of the decision
process was that OSGeo (the international body) and its conference
committee were not the right people to make the decision on the
FOSS4G-Europe location, and it was proposed to invite all local chapters
in Europe to appoint one rep to a FOSS4G-EU conference committee that
would make the decision on the location of the event. The creation of
this FOSS4G-EU committee should be discussed on the local-chapters list
at some point.

I am reporting this here because the same could possibly apply to
FOSS4G-NA: the global OSGeo may not be the best entity to decide on the
location of FOSS4G-NA and maybe we should defer to reps of the local
chapters in the region?

Let's keep this in mind when we discuss this in the board meeting.

BTW, if there is only one candidate for FOSS4G-NA 2015 then there is no
need for a formal decision process and we should keep things simple, but
sooner or later the need will arise.

Daniel

On 14-04-07 1:59 PM, Andrew Ross wrote:

> Bart,
>
> Sure, I can make that time and I'm glad to have a dialogue about it.
> Thanks for suggesting.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew
>
> On 07/04/14 13:31, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>> Hey Andrew,
>>
>> we have a board meeting this Thursday so maybe we can discuss it there
>> as well given this is urgent?
>>
>> I’ll add it to the agenda, would you be available on IRC for any
>> questions?
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-04-10
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart
>>
>> On 07 Apr 2014, at 19:04, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> For those that might be interested in participating in this &
>>> especially up front in terms of outreach & helping sort out details
>>> to tune the idea so it works well, please contact me. Thank you very
>>> much to those that have already.
>>>
>>> Some important decisions require immediate attention such as which
>>> city, what dates, and so forth.
>>>
>>> Some possible cities suggested by people, for 2015, include:
>>> D.C., San Francisco, Boston, San Diego
>>>
>>> In terms of dates, late March or early April would be offset from the
>>> global FOSS4G & also from other very busy periods in the calendar. It
>>> lines up with EclipseCon, which co-hosting helps reduce organizing
>>> burden. For what it's worth, the overall conference would not be
>>> called EclipseCon to appeal to all constituents.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Andrew

Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: [location-iwg] [OSGeo-Discuss] 2015 North American conference

Robert Cheetham
Hi David.  I can do my best to speak for Philadelphia as a location for conferences:

Upsides
 * Accessible location:
  -> USAir/American hub, Delta, Southwest and United have significant presence as well
  -> Good international air coverage, though not as good as Dulles, Newark or JFK
  -> Major Amtrak station
  -> Good internal public transit
  -> Significant hotel capacity at a slightly lower price point than Boston, New York or DC
 * A huge number of great, affordable restaurants and pubs
 * 3 large research universities within the downtown area (U-Penn. Drexel and Temple)
 * Walkable downtown

Downsides:
 * Scarcity of medium-sized conference facilities.  The PA Convention Center is extremely convenient, is in the heart of the city, and is good for large events, but it's a big place and I don't know how easy it would be plan an event for 700 - 1000 people.  There are also lots of smaller spaces that are good for 40 - 100 people, but not a lot in-between. The best bet may be universities, though that can be tough, depending on the timing and class schedules.  Some other possibilities might be Sheraton Society Hill or one of the other hotels.
 * Unions - a big downside for the convention center is the unions - they are expensive and difficult to work with.  If you don't use the convention center, it won't be a problem, but they have quite an unpleasant reputation there.

Best,

Robert

------------------
Robert Cheetham

Azavea  |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
[hidden email]  | T 215.701.7713  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |  Twitter @rcheetham  and @azavea

Azavea is a B Corporation - we apply geospatial technology to create better communities
while advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Join us in creating a better world.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM, David Dubovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew,

I echo David's appreciation for stepping up to take this on. My organization (Boundless) sees a lot of benefit to a co-hosted event, potentially raising the profile of FOSS4G significantly.

I did have a few thoughts on location. Before 2015 there will have been five FOSS4G Events in North America:

2007: FOSS4G Victoria
2011: FOSS4G Denver
2012: FOSS4G-NA Washington DC
2013: FOSS4G-NA Minneapolis
2014: FOSS4G Portland

Given the distribution it looks like FOSS4G is due for an east coast event. I know DC would work out, but we did have the first NA event there. I'd like to float the idea of having the event in Philadelphia. It has a major airport and is easily accessible by train. DC and NYC attendees can easily come for one or multiple days via amtrak. I don't think travel restrictions would be too bad for Philly either.

That said I defer to those more familiar with the city and the other conferences.

David

David Dubovsky

Marketing Manager | Boundless

[hidden email]

@boundlessgeo

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fwd: Re: [Board] 2015 North American conference

Arnulf Christl

...forwarding to Local Chapters.

What Daniel proposes here is a kind of meta Local Chapters community,
not quite regional but also not global. My hopes are that it will
manifest as we go simply because we need it and people attach to the
idea. For a start I believe it would be helpful to continue the dialog
on this list because it is (supposed to be) the meta level meeting
place for local chaps.

There is no imminent problem and there is certainly no strategy but in
the long run we will want to have some communication *before* things
happen, especially if they affect a broader slate of the community.

If you are interested in global FOSS4G topics I suggest you
additionally subscribe to this list:
[hidden email]

Have fun,
Arnulf

CC: OSGEO discuss <[hidden email]>, conference
<[hidden email]>, [hidden email]

> [...]

>> On 07 Apr 2014, at 19:04, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> For those that might be interested in participating in this &
>>> especially up front in terms of outreach & helping sort out
>>> details to tune the idea so it works well, please contact me.
>>> Thank you very much to those that have already.
>>>
>>> Some important decisions require immediate attention such as
>>> which city, what dates, and so forth.
>>>
>>> Some possible cities suggested by people, for 2015, include:
>>> D.C., San Francisco, Boston, San Diego
>>>
>>> In terms of dates, late March or early April would be offset
>>> from the global FOSS4G & also from other very busy periods in
>>> the calendar. It lines up with EclipseCon, which co-hosting
>>> helps reduce organizing burden. For what it's worth, the
>>> overall conference would not be called EclipseCon to appeal to

- --
Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Fwd: Re: [Board] 2015 North American conference

Eli Adam
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for interest in co-hosting FOSS4G-NA with other conferences and planning ahead.

I think that there could be benefits to joint organizing.

FOSS4G-NA takes every third year off to leave plenty of space for the international FOSS4G when in North America. What would be the plan for those years in a merged scenario?  Merge with the international conference?  In fall or spring?  Continue on with a spring date to be a different time of year and have two that year?  Other?

There are benefits worth pursuing.

Best Regards and see you in PDX, Eli

> [...]

>> On 07 Apr 2014, at 19:04, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> For those that might be interested in participating in this &
>>> especially up front in terms of outreach & helping sort out
>>> details to tune the idea so it works well, please contact me.
>>> Thank you very much to those that have already.
>>>
>>> Some important decisions require immediate attention such as
>>> which city, what dates, and so forth.
>>>
>>> Some possible cities suggested by people, for 2015, include:
>>> D.C., San Francisco, Boston, San Diego
>>>
>>> In terms of dates, late March or early April would be offset
>>> from the global FOSS4G & also from other very busy periods in
>>> the calendar. It lines up with EclipseCon, which co-hosting
>>> helps reduce organizing burden. For what it's worth, the
>>> overall conference would not be called EclipseCon to appeal to

- --
Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: 2015 North American conference

aross
Hi Everyone,

A quick update on this.

The feedback on this has been quite positive, and we will be proceeding to organize the event. The City, Venue, and Dates will be announced as soon as possible.

We have received responses to our RFP from venues in D.C., Austin, Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, and a few other cities.

I would like to thank David Bitner & Eddie Pickle, chairs of the past two FOSS4G NA's for joining the 2015 conference planning committee. Also, thank you to Robert Cheetham who has joined the team as well. We anticipate 2 or 3 more people to join the team in the coming weeks. This committee will help us plan an outstanding event.

We will be forming a program committee who will review and select presentation proposals. More on that soon.

As always, feedback & suggestions are welcome.

[...]

Re: [Board] Fwd: Re: 2015 North American conference

Cameron Shorter
Hi Andrew,
Good to see this pushing ahead.
A few things which hopefully should be of value:

1. http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook Although only partly complete, has a number of pointers to best practice, (often useful for providing justification to elements of the community for the direction you are taking).

2. Using osgeo live at your event: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Including_OSGeo-Live_at_your_event

On 26/04/2014 11:21 pm, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hello OSGeo board,

Just a short note of thanks for the chance to discuss the event & the support from you on April 10th. We are proceeding to organize the event. More details soon!

Andrew

[...]

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

Re: Fwd: Re: [Board] 2015 North American conference

aross
Hi Eli,

Thank you for the thoughts.

Stating the obvious, 2015 is an event and related but decoupled from future events.

I'm happy to participate in an open dialogue brainstorming for future events.

For what it's worth, I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense to host a regional FOSS4G & Global FOSS4G in the same region in the same year. Just my opinion, but ideally they are one and the same that year.

IMHO, people have come to expect the Global event in the fall so that's pretty important. Spring could work well too, but would need to be planned well in advance so people know and it could avoid conflicting events.

If you don't mind sharing, what kinds of things do you have in mind for benefits & things to look out for?

Kind regards,

Andrew

- --
Daniel Morissette