2015 North American conference

aross
Hello Everyone,

Please excuse the cross post between OSGeo's discuss & conference_dev lists as well as LocationTech's discussion list. I'm hoping to enable inclusive discussion about an idea.

Bit of background, this coming May (19-21), LocationTech Summit is co-hosted with Location Intelligence in Washington D.C.. Travel restrictions for Federal Government employees for instance meant holding this in D.C. was important in 2014.

We have started planning for 2015, and I wanted to reach out and see if an idea might be of interest to the greater community.

The idea is to co-host LocationTech Summit, FOSS4G North America, and EclipseCon next year in the spring.

For those that haven't been:
  • EclipseCon is a great  developer conference & covers topics that I feel may be a really nice complement such as Science, Internet of Things, Automotive, Software development best practice, and more. While there are some awesome talks in the area, it's not just about the IDE. :-)
  • FOSS4G NA is the regional sibling of FOSS4G Global, also a great developer conference, and focused on geospatial technologies. It is a must attend event if you're into web mapping or looking for open source GIS solutions.
  • LocationTech Summit is new (first one this May), similar to FOSS4G however perhaps has a stronger focus on high performance geoprocessing technologies and new technologies like GeoGit for instance.
  • My feeble attempt at contrast aside, I think these last two will see a lot of the same speakers & audience.
A few thoughts:
  • We believe a combined event could likely be done to prioritize camaraderie which is so important for open source projects & community. i.e. avoid anyone feeling lost in a huge event.
  • We feel the mutual outreach to people across communities would be really useful, interesting, and spark wonderful ideas we can't predict.
  • The logistical work can be done by full time conference organizers who organize EclipseCon each year. The program is up to the communities to set.
  • For those seeking suppliers, partners, & customers, this should make for more opportunities.
  • Profit sharing with significant participating groups is doable. We're glad to help figure out a fair and amicable solution.
  • Ensuring each group are well served is a priority of course. We think this combined event might attract people who might not otherwise come to any of them. But we'll have to try and see.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Is this a good idea? Interested?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Re: 2015 North American conference

Alex Mandel-2
On 04/04/2014 02:02 PM, Andrew Ross wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Please excuse the cross post between OSGeo's discuss & conference_dev
> lists as well as LocationTech's discussion list. I'm hoping to enable
> inclusive discussion about an idea.
>
> Bit of background, this coming May (19-21), LocationTech Summit is
> co-hosted with Location Intelligence in Washington D.C.
> <http://www.locationintelligence.net/>. Travel restrictions for Federal
> Government employees for instance meant holding this in D.C. was
> important in 2014.
>
> We have started planning for 2015, and I wanted to reach out and see if
> an idea might be of interest to the greater community.
>
> The idea is to co-host LocationTech Summit, FOSS4G North America, and
> EclipseCon next year in the spring.
>
> For those that haven't been:
>
>  * EclipseCon is a great  developer conference & covers topics that I
>    feel may be a really nice complement such as Science, Internet of
>    Things, Automotive, Software development best practice, and more.
>    While there are some awesome talks in the area, it's not just about
>    the IDE. :-)
>  * FOSS4G NA is the regional sibling of FOSS4G Global, also a great
>    developer conference, and focused on geospatial technologies. It is
>    a must attend event if you're into web mapping or looking for open
>    source GIS solutions.
>  * LocationTech Summit is new (first one this May), similar to FOSS4G
>    however perhaps has a stronger focus on high performance
>    geoprocessing technologies and new technologies like GeoGit for
>    instance.
>  * My feeble attempt at contrast aside, I think these last two will see
>    a lot of the same speakers & audience.
>
> A few thoughts:
>
>  * We believe a combined event could likely be done to prioritize
>    camaraderie which is so important for open source projects &
>    community. i.e. avoid anyone feeling lost in a huge event.
>  * We feel the mutual outreach to people across communities would be
>    really useful, interesting, and spark wonderful ideas we can't predict.
>  * The logistical work can be done by full time conference organizers
>    who organize EclipseCon each year. The program is up to the
>    communities to set.
>  * For those seeking suppliers, partners, & customers, this should make
>    for more opportunities.
>  * Profit sharing with significant participating groups is doable.
>    We're glad to help figure out a fair and amicable solution.
>  * Ensuring each group are well served is a priority of course. We
>    think this combined event might attract people who might not
>    otherwise come to any of them. But we'll have to try and see.
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Is this a good idea? Interested?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew

I agree that Foss4g and LocationTech share interest and that separately
LocationTech and EclipseCon share interest.

However the jump from Foss4g to EclipseCon is only a small overlap of
the communities.

This statement doesn't really differentiate LocationTech from Foss4g for me:
"...however perhaps has a stronger focus on high performance
    geoprocessing technologies and new technologies like GeoGit for
    instance."
Plenty of Foss4g is interested in those topics. I see nothing in
LocationTech that isn't also part of Foss4g conceptually. Just a focus
on the Eclipse community for implementation methods.

Perhaps LocationTech should split itself and partake in both things
separately. e.g. LocationTech tracks and submeetings at each conference?

I wouldn't be opposed to Foss4gNA taking place a few days before or
after EclipseCon depending on location and timing. This happens with OSM
state of the map conference sometimes. Note we strive for Foss4gNA to be
offset in the calendar from Foss4g 4-6 months.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [location-iwg] 2015 North American conference

Alex Mandel-2
Yes and no. I was at the DC Fossg4NA. Location did matter for the set of
attendees there, but choice of location also prevents attendance. If the
goal is penetration into the Federal market, DC is important. If the
goal is to foster Foss4g around North America then it needs to move
around so that people in small non-profits, state agencies, tech
start-ups can also make it. Also it's not just travel restrictions but
price - DC isn't the cheapest place to fly or stay depending on dates.

Basically, there are some states with plenty of Federal employees
(regional staff) and plenty of State employees who also face travel
restrictions. There's almost 0% chance a state employee from California
can get to DC for a conference. Not sure what the situation for New
York,Texas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington are either. That's a huge chunk
of potential missing. That doesn't even cover Canada or Mexico, which I
can't really speak for at all.

Thanks,
Alex

On 04/04/2014 02:31 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> [...]
>>    i.e. avoid anyone feeling lost in a huge event.
>>    - We feel the mutual outreach to people across communities would be
>>    really useful, interesting, and spark wonderful ideas we can't predict.
>>    - The logistical work can be done by full time conference organizers
>>    who organize EclipseCon each year. The program is up to the communities to
>>    set.
>>    - For those seeking suppliers, partners, & customers, this should make
>>    for more opportunities.
>>     - Profit sharing with significant participating groups is doable.
>>    We're glad to help figure out a fair and amicable solution.
>>     - Ensuring each group are well served is a priority of course. We
>>    think this combined event might attract people who might not otherwise come
>>    to any of them. But we'll have to try and see.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Is this a good idea? Interested?

Alex,

Thanks so much for taking the time to consider this idea & provide your
thoughts.

Yeah, I agree with you about the common interest & this was the basis of
reaching out.

I do think developing areas at Eclipse such as the IoT working group
focusing on sensors, actuators, and gateways share significant interest.
The new Science working group too.

While some folks probably don't care enough to go to a conference just
for the tools/development stuff, if it's available for them to pick what
they like to attend for no added cost, that might  be seen as pretty handy.

And I think the inverse is important... expose mainstream IT to
geospatial as much as possible. This is a nice way to do a bit of that.

Stating the obvious: It is a tremendous amount of work to organize a
conference. One event saves effort and cost. More importantly, it helps
avoid having to make tough choices between multiple events.

You made great points in your other email about moving around for
outreach. I agree. Also, for what it's worth, a tour to a bunch of
cities like LocationTech did last November helps reach a lot of people.
There's another one being planned for this year and people are invited
to get involved if they'd like.

Thanks again! I'd love to hear what others think too. I anticipate there
will be some really important things that need to be just right for this
to make sense so glad to talk about them.

Andrew

On 04/04/14 17:31, Alex Mandel wrote:

> II agree that Foss4g and LocationTech share interest and that separately
> LocationTech and EclipseCon share interest.
>
> However the jump from Foss4g to EclipseCon is only a small overlap of
> the communities.
>
> This statement doesn't really differentiate LocationTech from Foss4g for me:
> "...however perhaps has a stronger focus on high performance
>      geoprocessing technologies and new technologies like GeoGit for
>      instance."
> Plenty of Foss4g is interested in those topics. I see nothing in
> LocationTech that isn't also part of Foss4g conceptually. Just a focus
> on the Eclipse community for implementation methods.
>
> Perhaps LocationTech should split itself and partake in both things
> separately. e.g. LocationTech tracks and submeetings at each conference?

Re: 2015 North American conference

aross
Hi Everyone,

For those that might be interested in participating in this & especially up front in terms of outreach & helping sort out details to tune the idea so it works well, please contact me. Thank you very much to those that have already.

Some important decisions require immediate attention such as which city, what dates, and so forth.

Some possible cities suggested by people, for 2015, include:
D.C., San Francisco, Boston, San Diego

In terms of dates, late March or early April would be offset from the global FOSS4G & also from other very busy periods in the calendar. It lines up with EclipseCon, which co-hosting helps reduce organizing burden. For what it's worth, the overall conference would not be called EclipseCon to appeal to all constituents.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Andrew

On 04/04/14 17:02, Andrew Ross wrote:
[...]

David William Bitner-3
Andrew,

First of all, thank you for stepping up as willing to take on FOSS4G NA 2015.

Having made two calls to the broader community over the last several months looking for folks to express interest in hosting the NA event for 2015 with no response, I am excited to see someone with your experience stepping forward. Unless this thread spurs on another bid, at this point, I would not envision necessity for a competitive bid for this event.

I think that co-hosting the event with Eclipse and LocationTech can both help boost the profile and the make this event logistically easier. I think the most critical piece in joining these events this year will be in making sure that we can keep the FOSS4G and OSGeo branding prominent.

Keep in mind as well (anyone else here too that might want to provide a competing bid!), that we have earmarked ~$20K from the Minneapolis event to help bootstrap a 2015 NA FOSS4G.

David

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As a goal to differentiate different bids I 100% agree.

Sadly, fact of the matter is that nobody else has expressed any interest. Sometimes it takes the prodding of someone else stepping up to spur on a group to come together. Barring that, we are already one year from the ideal target dates for an NA event. This is already pushing the envelope for planning an event like this.

I think given the rational for the density of Feds and the halo effect that has in DC that 2015 would actually be a prime year to bring this back to DC having had the 2014 Global Event in Portland and the 2013 Event in Minneapolis. I think there is enough specific pull to DC that every third year is not too much. I would like to see this event reach Mexico/Canada as well and it might be good to start trying to groom a city (or cities) to try to explore a 2016 bid now.

David

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>    i.e. avoid anyone feeling lost in a huge event.
>>    - We feel the mutual outreach to people across communities would be
>>    really useful, interesting, and spark wonderful ideas we can't predict.
>>    - The logistical work can be done by full time conference organizers
>>    who organize EclipseCon each year. The program is up to the communities to
>>    set.
>>    - For those seeking suppliers, partners, & customers, this should make
>>    for more opportunities.
>>     - Profit sharing with significant participating groups is doable.
>>    We're glad to help figure out a fair and amicable solution.
>>     - Ensuring each group are well served is a priority of course. We
>>    think this combined event might attract people who might not otherwise come
>>    to any of them. But we'll have to try and see.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Is this a good idea? Interested?

David,

Thank you. Our team is always glad to support the ecosystem.

Personally, I'm jazzed at the potential and looking forward to having a lot of fun with this.

You're spot-on. We recognize the branding is a crucial bit of this. It's not simple, but I think we should be able to figure out a way to do it that works for everyone. For those that have ideas or want to participate, please speak up ASAP.

Cheers!

Andrew

On 07/04/14 13:50, David William Bitner wrote:
[...]

T M-4
Andrew

I know it is far away, but do you have possible dates for the conference? I usually attend another conference at the end of April, so I was just wondering if it will conflict

Thanks
Tom Mueller

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Re: 2015 North American conference

aross
Hi Tom,

Sorry, not yet. We're doing venue RFP's in a number of cities for between mid-March & mid-April.

Naturally we're looking to avoid Easter & as best we can avoid march break, which isn't easy.

Andrew

On 07/04/14 15:07, T M wrote:
Andrew

I know it is far away, but do you have possible dates for the conference? I usually attend another conference at the end of April, so I was just wondering if it will conflict

Thanks
Tom Mueller

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Re: [Board] [OSGeo-Conf] 2015 North American conference

Daniel Morissette
Hi Everyone,

FYI, at the Vienna Sprint two weeks ago, we had a similar discussion
about the (lack of) decision process for the location of FOSS4G-Europe.
The people involved in the discussion included past FOSS4G and
FOSS4G-CEE organizers, some key members of the EU community and a few
board members, and the conclusion on the question of the decision
process was that OSGeo (the international body) and its conference
committee were not the right people to make the decision on the
FOSS4G-Europe location, and it was proposed to invite all local chapters
in Europe to appoint one rep to a FOSS4G-EU conference committee that
would make the decision on the location of the event. The creation of
this FOSS4G-EU committee should be discussed on the local-chapters list
at some point.

I am reporting this here because the same could possibly apply to
FOSS4G-NA: the global OSGeo may not be the best entity to decide on the
location of FOSS4G-NA and maybe we should defer to reps of the local
chapters in the region?

Let's keep this in mind when we discuss this in the board meeting.

BTW, if there is only one candidate for FOSS4G-NA 2015 then there is no
need for a formal decision process and we should keep things simple, but
sooner or later the need will arise.

Daniel

On 14-04-07 1:59 PM, Andrew Ross wrote:

> Bart,
>
> Sure, I can make that time and I'm glad to have a dialogue about it.
> Thanks for suggesting.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew
>
> On 07/04/14 13:31, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>> Hey Andrew,
>>
>> we have a board meeting this Thursday so maybe we can discuss it there
>> as well given this is urgent?
>>
>> I’ll add it to the agenda, would you be available on IRC for any
>> questions?
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-04-10
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart
>>
>> On 07 Apr 2014, at 19:04, Andrew Ross <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> For those that might be interested in participating in this &
>>> especially up front in terms of outreach & helping sort out details
>>> to tune the idea so it works well, please contact me. Thank you very
>>> much to those that have already.
>>>
>>> Some important decisions require immediate attention such as which
>>> city, what dates, and so forth.
>>>
>>> Some possible cities suggested by people, for 2015, include:
>>> D.C., San Francisco, Boston, San Diego
>>>
>>> In terms of dates, late March or early April would be offset from the
>>> global FOSS4G & also from other very busy periods in the calendar. It
>>> lines up with EclipseCon, which co-hosting helps reduce organizing
>>> burden. For what it's worth, the overall conference would not be
>>> called EclipseCon to appeal to all constituents.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Andrew

Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: 2015 North American conference

aross
Hi Everyone,

A quick update on this.

The feedback on this has been quite positive, and we will be proceeding to organize the event. The City, Venue, and Dates will be announced as soon as possible.

We have received responses to our RFP from venues in D.C., Austin, Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, and a few other cities.

I would like to thank David Bitner & Eddie Pickle, chairs of the past two FOSS4G NA's for joining the 2015 conference planning committee. Also, thank you to Robert Cheetham who has joined the team as well. We anticipate 2 or 3 more people to join the team in the coming weeks. This committee will help us plan an outstanding event.

We will be forming a program committee who will review and select presentation proposals. More on that soon.

As always, feedback & suggestions are welcome.