2.2.2 Release (?)

Paul Ramsey
Hi all,
In light of the upgrade blocker that is now gone, I'd like to propose
a 2.2.2 in short order. Does anyone have a list of other open tickets
that are critical to address prior to a 2.2.2?
ATB,

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Greg Troxel

Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> writes:

> In light of the upgrade blocker that is now gone, I'd like to propose
> a 2.2.2 in short order. Does anyone have a list of other open tickets
> that are critical to address prior to a 2.2.2?

I know of nothing that's necessary, but I'm sort of paged out these few
weeks.

Partly on general principles and partly because there were bugs in one
of the recent releases only caught at packaging time (unintended file
moving), I will make my usual suggestion of creating/publishing an RC,
having a freeze except for documentation fixes, and waiting 7 days
between RC publication and release, to give users and packagers a chance
to pre-stage an update and validate it.

(My impression is that there isn't a script to run to generate a release
From svn, because the script that is used has to make tags and actually
do svn ops.  So a random user can't make an tarball for testing.  It
would be nice to have this be more like automake's "make dist", which
just needs a source tree and doesn't write to the VCS.  But until then,
I think RCs are in order.)

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Sandro Santilli-2
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 02:38:04PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Hi all,
> In light of the upgrade blocker that is now gone, I'd like to propose
> a 2.2.2 in short order. Does anyone have a list of other open tickets
> that are critical to address prior to a 2.2.2?

Trac does:
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/report/28

NOTE: I've updated report:28 to point at 2.2.2 items,
      it was previously used for 2.2.1 ones

--strk;

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Sandro Santilli-2
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 09:00:52PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> (My impression is that there isn't a script to run to generate a release
> From svn, because the script that is used has to make tags and actually
> do svn ops.  So a random user can't make an tarball for testing.  It
> would be nice to have this be more like automake's "make dist", which
> just needs a source tree and doesn't write to the VCS.  But until then,
> I think RCs are in order.)

+1

Feel free to ticket the request for offline "make dist", I also
think it would be useful. Much easier with an offline VCS but
we aren't there yet :)

--strk;

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Greg Troxel

Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 09:00:52PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> (My impression is that there isn't a script to run to generate a release
>> From svn, because the script that is used has to make tags and actually
>> do svn ops.  So a random user can't make an tarball for testing.  It
>> would be nice to have this be more like automake's "make dist", which
>> just needs a source tree and doesn't write to the VCS.  But until then,
>> I think RCs are in order.)
>
> +1
>
> Feel free to ticket the request for offline "make dist", I also
> think it would be useful. Much easier with an offline VCS but
> we aren't there yet :)
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3482

Actually, I think the distfile creation process should be totally
independent of the VCS, just making a tarball from checked-out bits.
I'm not suggesting we change to automake, but I think it does the right
thing and is worthy of emulation.  (As I realize you know), "make dist"
works from a checkout/working dir, and "make distcheck" after making a
distfile unpacks the new distfile, does an objdir build, and runs make
check.  That's a big level of validation that the right files are in the
distfile, vs make check in the checkout.

My impression is that separating this wouldn't be that hard.   The big
issue is separating "checkout as modified but not committed" from
"what's in the working dir".   But even if it could easily make a
distfile from trunk or a branch, vs a tag, that would help a lot.

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Sandro Santilli-2
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 08:48:48AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> My impression is that separating this wouldn't be that hard.   The big
> issue is separating "checkout as modified but not committed" from
> "what's in the working dir".   But even if it could easily make a
> distfile from trunk or a branch, vs a tag, that would help a lot.

The only reason why that script relies on the VCS is to avoid putting
in the tarball any generated file, basically.

Automake solves that by requiring explicit mention of each and every
file that needs to be in the distribution (in Makefile.am).

Do you think we could use a manually-edited MANIFEST file for that ?

--strk;

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Greg Troxel

Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 08:48:48AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> My impression is that separating this wouldn't be that hard.   The big
>> issue is separating "checkout as modified but not committed" from
>> "what's in the working dir".   But even if it could easily make a
>> distfile from trunk or a branch, vs a tag, that would help a lot.
>
> The only reason why that script relies on the VCS is to avoid putting
> in the tarball any generated file, basically.
>
> Automake solves that by requiring explicit mention of each and every
> file that needs to be in the distribution (in Makefile.am).
>
> Do you think we could use a manually-edited MANIFEST file for that ?
We could, or we could use svn ls on the branch.  Once we have a
manifest, I'd want to have 'make distcheck', but this is slowly
reinventing automake which isn't a good strategy....

But in thinking about this, the real benefit is to be able to make a
distfile from trunk, or the head of some branch, to check it during the
runup to a release.  So if the script could make a distfile from trunk
or a branch, with read-only VCS access, that would get 85% of the value
with perhaps only 10% of the work.

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Sandro Santilli-2
On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 09:50:52AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> But in thinking about this, the real benefit is to be able to make a
> distfile from trunk, or the head of some branch, to check it during the
> runup to a release.  So if the script could make a distfile from trunk
> or a branch, with read-only VCS access, that would get 85% of the value
> with perhaps only 10% of the work.

The current "make_dist.sh" script fetches either current "trunk"
(no args) or a named tag (one arg) from http://svn.osgeo.org/postgis.

So the only missing support is fetching the head of some (non-trunk)
branch, at the moment. Read-only access should be supported, could
you giv eit a try ?

--strk;

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Sandro Santilli-2
On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:09:50PM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> So the only missing support is fetching the head of some (non-trunk)
> branch, at the moment.

I just committed a -b switch for the make_dist.sh script, in trunk.
Please refer to https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3482#comment:3
and maybe we can continue the discussion there.

--strk;

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Paul Ramsey
With no blockers on 2.2.2, I again call for any objections to cutting
a 2.2.2 release? Hearing nothing by tomorrow, I'll cut it over the
weekend.

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 02:38:04PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> In light of the upgrade blocker that is now gone, I'd like to propose
>> a 2.2.2 in short order. Does anyone have a list of other open tickets
>> that are critical to address prior to a 2.2.2?
>
> Trac does:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/report/28
>
> NOTE: I've updated report:28 to point at 2.2.2 items,
>       it was previously used for 2.2.1 ones
>
> --strk;

build 2.2x version number ?

Brian M Hamlin

Hi - I have the 2.2 branch on Ubuntu 1404  -- the build is failing.. Am I missing a step here ?

-------------------------

I../libpgcommon postgis.sql.in | grep -v '^#' | \

/usr/bin/perl -lpe "s'MODULE_PATHNAME'\$libdir/postgis-2.2'g" > postgis.sql

/bin/sh: 1: I../libpgcommon: not found

/usr/bin/perl ../utils/create_undef.pl postgis.sql 94 > uninstall_postgis.sql

/usr/bin/perl ../utils/postgis_proc_upgrade.pl postgis.sql UNUSED > postgis_upgrade.sql.in

Unable to locate target new version number in postgis.sql

Makefile:161: recipe for target 'postgis_upgrade.sql.in' failed

make[1]: *** [postgis_upgrade.sql.in] Error 255

make[1]: *** Deleting file 'postgis_upgrade.sql.in'

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/shared/srcs_i7d/postgis_22_branch/postgis'

GNUmakefile:16: recipe for target 'all' failed

make: *** [all] Error 1

---------------------------------------

here is the configure output:

  PostGIS is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

 -------------- Compiler Info -------------

  C compiler:           gcc -g -O2

  SQL preprocessor:

Re: build 2.2x version number ?

Brian M Hamlin

please see   https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3506#ticket

I believe it is not VERSION, but that is a secondary effect from postgis.sql being empty before it fails

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 10:23:46 -0700, Brian M Hamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OSGeo California Chapter
blog.light42.com

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

John Harvey
Thanks for the release!

Do you know when a documentation pdf for 2.2.2 will be available at http://download.osgeo.org/postgis/docs/ ?

Regards,
  -John

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
With no blockers on 2.2.2, I again call for any objections to cutting
a 2.2.2 release? Hearing nothing by tomorrow, I'll cut it over the
weekend.

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 02:38:04PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> In light of the upgrade blocker that is now gone, I'd like to propose
>> a 2.2.2 in short order. Does anyone have a list of other open tickets
>> that are critical to address prior to a 2.2.2?
>
> Trac does:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/report/28
>
> NOTE: I've updated report:28 to point at 2.2.2 items,
>       it was previously used for 2.2.1 ones
>
> --strk;

Re: 2.2.2 Release (?)

Regina Obe